Single parents with careers

Options
forestfreek
forestfreek Posts: 5,770 Member
Hey there!
Fairly new here and am looking to connect with everyone in our weight loss/health journeys but especially with single parents that also work. Itโ€™s such a struggle to find time for myself and Iโ€™m just wondering how others cope and make the time.
Any feedback, advice, pointers or even a hello is welcome ๐Ÿ˜Š
Jennie

Replies

• RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to offer my experience: My kiddo is all grown up now but I was a single parent working full time. It wasnโ€™t easy but one thing I made a priority was communication. I made sure to keep open lines of communication... where I explained things to him on a level he could comprehend and that my son always felt like he could talk to me about anything. He is thriving as an independent adult, he is able to use his abilities in communication to network and learn, building and adding to his talents and skills and creating opportunities for himself to follow his dreams and he is happy and confident in his life. So I guess in spite of all the things I certainly got wrong, I did get something right ๐Ÿ™ƒ Just do the absolute best that you can and know that you gave it your all and did your best and things will probably turn out just fine ๐Ÿ˜ I lost my excess weight and started exercising for the first time in my life in part to be a good role model for my kid and I have maintained for 6 years and plan to keep going. Now in my 40โ€™s I have all the time to dedicate to myself and Iโ€™m having way more fun than when I was in my 20โ€™s or 30โ€™s! ๐Ÿ˜Ž
  • forestfreek
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Thank you for such a lovely reply๐Ÿ˜Š

I guess I should clarify a bit.
    Iโ€™m in my 40s now with a 7 year old son. I have a very busy work schedule and am more looking for tips as to how I can fit in making myself a priority - exercise, meal preps, etc. I find it extremely challenging as my job, son and my personal life take up all of my time.
    Just wondering how others make time for โ€œyouโ€?
  • Iamsimpleguy
    Iamsimpleguy Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Hello @forestfreek You will get good support from the community. Welcome to MFP, Enter your food diary daily and keep tracking your calories, try to do small exercises. Keep active yourself. All the best!! Feel free to add me :)

For a Newbie check this link http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest
  • forestfreek
    Options
    @Iamsimpleguy - thank you so much for the links ๐Ÿ˜Š
  • rencawdor24
    rencawdor24 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    This is me too! I am also a single parent with a demanding career and struggling to find time to think about what I eat plus regular exercise.