Should you eat if you’re NOT hungry?

Options
Usually I’m pretty good at sticking to my calorie amount, but today was weird. I just wasn’t hungry. I think I ended up with like 550 calories. I know that’s definitely not enough to get good amounts of protein, etc, so my question is, should I make myself eat on random non-hungry days like today, to get the beneficial nutrients, or is that wrong bc my body will get used to eating when I’m not hungry?

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Consistency for the win. If you do this on a regular basis there will be side effects. You might notice your hair swirling down the drain by the handfuls and dark circles under the eyes. The body is bent on survival.
  • TulieRose21
    TulieRose21 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    It won’t hurt you to have a low day once in a while. The two things to watch are that you get enough nutrition overall, and that overly restricting calories because you don’t feel hungry at that moment doesn’t lead to you being extremely hungry, losing control and binging later. Eating on a consistent schedule before you are truly hungry can lead to better choices than waiting until you are starving and grab whatever right away.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    If you have a noticeably lower energy level the next day then you will know you need to eat more next time.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Eat more the next day. Or consider a daily average for the week.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    For one day you are fine. Especially if you make up the calories the next day. Consistently under eating would be problematic.