2»

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Sami1601 wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Where did you get the 1500 number from? Are you sure it’s TDEE and not a calculator like MFP that includes BMR and daily activity but not purposeful exercise?

She's calculating it with no exercise and at sedentary.

Even so, I ran the numbers and got over 1600.

And where did you get over 1600 from? Please tell me.

https://tdeecalculator.net

34, 150, 5'4 and sedentary gives me 1638.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Where did you get the 1500 number from? Are you sure it’s TDEE and not a calculator like MFP that includes BMR and daily activity but not purposeful exercise?

Body weight x 10 is a pretty straight forward way to get a ballpark calorie goal of one is sedentary. Provided you are not obese, then the numbers get skewed...

Holy heck no. That would have me eating less than 1000 calories a day for maintenance! Even x12 has me less than 1200. Numbers get screwed both ways I think.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »

Body weight x 10 is a pretty straight forward way to get a ballpark calorie goal of one is sedentary. Provided you are not obese, then the numbers get skewed...

Holy heck no. That would have me eating less than 1000 calories a day for maintenance! Even x12 has me less than 1200. Numbers get screwed both ways I think.

Are you sedentary?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options

Do you weigh yourself in kilos or pounds? I'm pretty sure that BW X 10 to 12 is for weight in pounds. Not that I'm defending the formula in general. I think it's a pretty crude estimate, and if it has to carry the disclaimer "if you're sedentary," it's not much good, is it? I mean, it's like saying to people, "stay sedentary, because we can't be bothered to give you a formula that works if you're not."
  • J72FIT
    Options

Do you weigh yourself in kilos or pounds? I'm pretty sure that BW X 10 to 12 is for weight in pounds. Not that I'm defending the formula in general. I think it's a pretty crude estimate, and if it has to carry the disclaimer "if you're sedentary," it's not much good, is it? I mean, it's like saying to people, "stay sedentary, because we can't be bothered to give you a formula that works if you're not."

Not a disclaimer, a question. It's just a place to start.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options

Nope. That is in pounds. I weigh less than 100 pounds.

Are you sedentary?

I am anything but sedentary. My TDEE varies from day to day but little old me never eats under 2000 calories. At sedentary your formula has me at less than the 1200 minimum but I'm actually around 1600 calories instead. As I said it is inaccurate for me and anyone else that is in the very petite category and a healthy weight..

• magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options

Are you sedentary?

I am anything but sedentary. My TDEE varies from day to day but little old me never eats under 2000 calories. At sedentary your formula has me at less than the 1200 minimum but I'm actually around 1600 calories instead. As I said it is inaccurate for me and anyone else that is in the very petite category and a healthy weight..
    If you aren't sedentary and the estimate is for people that are sedentary, how is it inaccurate?
    If you are about 5'0" or less, there will be some slight skewing that happens. People who fall off the bell curve in one area will likely fall off it in something that depends on a something associated with that bell curve.
  • J72FIT
    edited June 2019
    Options

Are you sedentary?

The OP was sedentary due to injury. I also agree that weight (too high and too low) can skew the numbers which is why I prefer to use height as it is way more consistent.

It's also only an estimate. Just a place to start...
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,659 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I get 1638 on another 1640 and last one I did was and 1653...I suspect that 1500 is a bit low.

Personally I prefer using height. Height in centimeters x 9 - 12 for women which would give a range of 1458 - 1944 since she is 5’4” or about 162 cm...

Or, you know, you can just plug in the stats in the equations. I mean you're approximating the approximation approximately. Which is approximately good enough anyway most of the time!
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I get 1638 on another 1640 and last one I did was and 1653...I suspect that 1500 is a bit low.

Personally I prefer using height. Height in centimeters x 9 - 12 for women which would give a range of 1458 - 1944 since she is 5’4” or about 162 cm...

Or, you know, you can just plug in the stats in the equations. I mean you're approximating the approximation approximately. Which is approximately good enough anyway most of the time!
    PAV8888 wrote: »

50% of the time, it works every time.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Ya, but there are so many easy places to start to get a better estimate from the get-go.

Same way on food side it's recommended to weigh, not measure volume of food - because it's a best estimate, even if labels can be upwards of 20% off.

The rough ballpark is useful for others when they see someone's claim of TDEE to confirm they didn't like totally screw up somewhere in their math.
    But no need to spend 4-6 weeks actually eating such a ballpark figure to get ballpark results. Especially from those huge ballpark franks.

OP - MFP based on newer WHO studies than the 1919 Harris study those TDEE calc's come from found Sedentary at 1.25 x BMR.