How to log cycling with heavy trailer

Options
I’m not sure how to log my cycling. I pull a 20lb trailer with my kids in it and their combined weight is like 130lbs. I’ve been logging it as a leisurely ride <10mph, because I’m not going fast, but my legs are working hard and my HR is up so I kind of feel like I might be burning more calories than that. What would you put?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,107 Member
    Options
    Log it as a leisurely ride <10mph.

If you are burning more, those are bonus calories ... useful for those occasions when you might underestimate something you ate.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,079 Member
    Options
    If it's something you do on a regular basis, continue to log it like you have been and a weight trend will appear in time. As long as you have enough energy in general, you will figure it out with your data.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I'd probably estimate using perceived effort and experience compared to my normal cycling which I've got a pretty good handle on.

The speed related categories are pretty hopeless not just for your unusual situation, they take no account of type of bike or terrain or elevation climbed.

You could set up a free account on the Strava app and put in your combined weight to get a very rough power/calories estimate.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Are you on relatively flat or hilly terrain?

While I'm sure it takes extra effort to move the extra weight most the expenditure would be on acceleration, once you're rolling bikes are insanely efficient. If you really wanted to get a handle on it you could invest in a power meter but unless you were actually training for an event that may be a case of overkill.
  • missuswife
    missuswife Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I'd probably estimate using perceived effort and experience compared to my normal cycling which I've got a pretty good handle on.

The speed related categories are pretty hopeless not just for your unusual situation, they take no account of type of bike or terrain or elevation climbed.

You could set up a free account on the Strava app and put in your combined weight to get a very rough power/calories estimate.

Thanks for the app suggestion, I’ll look into that. The cycling categories on MFP really are useless.

• missuswife
    missuswife Posts: 26 Member
    Options

While I'm sure it takes extra effort to move the extra weight most the expenditure would be on acceleration, once you're rolling bikes are insanely efficient. If you really wanted to get a handle on it you could invest in a power meter but unless you were actually training for an event that may be a case of overkill.

You’re right, there is a fair amount of coasting. I’m on relatively flat urban terrain with some slopes.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options

Might be able to rent one. There's a shop here that rents them out for $75 per week.

OP, a power meter is a device for bikes that measures the "energy" you put into the bike. A side effect of how it works is there's a maximum error of 5% for calories, and you're in the middle of that range ... which is why the suggestion came up.