Knee pain when riding exercise bike

Options
Perhaps someone can help me. I started riding my exercise bike 2 weeks ago. I am female age 60, and 70 pounds overweight and out of shape. I was doing fine, riding about 12 to 13 m.p.h. for 30 minutes 6 days a week. The last couple times, I thought I would mix it up and ride as fast as I could for 1 minute, then slower for 1 minute, then repeat. I now have slight to moderate pain across my left kneecap and on either side of my kneecap, especially when I stand up and start walking.

Does anyone know what this is? Do you still recommend more moderate bike riding, or lay off? I hate to quit when I just got started. I would walk, but it is too hot for me where I live. I don't think it warrants a doctor visit, but could use some advice from you fitness experts. Thanks so much!!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Common injuries and ways to mitigate: https://www.bicycling.com/training/a20020906/why-do-my-knees-hurt/

I'd say rest it.
  • Pamela_Sue
    Pamela_Sue Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    cmriverside - thanks for the link. I read the following, "Big-gear mashing, climbing in monster gears, and hard sprinting (especially if you’re not conditioned for it) can put undue stress on the knee and cause this type of pain." I was definitely doing hard sprinting (at least for me), and I was definitely not conditioned for it. I will take your advice and rest it, and then go back to my slow and steady 12 to 13 mph pace that was already a challenge for me. No more sprints, instead when I am ready, I shall up the tension another notch on my exercise bike. Thanks again !!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: You're welcome. Hope you feel better soon.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I agree with the gear mashing being a possible culprit (our coaches are really focused on cadence and, anecdotal I know, I can feel the results of trying to stay between 85 and 90rpm for most of my rides, faster speeds, lower perceived effort) but I would also want to double check your bike fit as it can also manifest itself as knee pain.

While these guidelines are intended more for on-road cycling they apply to exercise bikes too. It's best, if possible to have someone observe your pedal stroke to get an idea of knee angles etc.

http://gobiking.ca/resourceshow-to/good-bike-fit-fundamentals/gobiking.ca/resourceshow-to/good-bike-fit-fundamentals/
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    pjshawley wrote: »
    cmriverside - thanks for the link. I read the following, "Big-gear mashing, climbing in monster gears, and hard sprinting (especially if you’re not conditioned for it) can put undue stress on the knee and cause this type of pain." I was definitely doing hard sprinting (at least for me), and I was definitely not conditioned for it. I will take your advice and rest it, and then go back to my slow and steady 12 to 13 mph pace that was already a challenge for me. No more sprints, instead when I am ready, I shall up the tension another notch on my exercise bike. Thanks again !!

This is what I was going to suggest, too.

You can still sprint, but do it by moving your legs faster not by pushing harder. Low resistance is good for you. It will strengthen your knees over time. Rest first until they stop bothering you.

If that doesn't make it go away, check saddle height next.
  • Pamela_Sue
    Options
    NorthCascades, thank you for the advice. Especially the lower resistance; I now realize when I do start back up that I need to lower the resistance on my exercise bike.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    This is probably more detail than you care about, but intensity = torque/resistance x rpms/speed. So you can achieve a great workout on low resistance, don't feel like this will limit you.
  • Deanner03
    Deanner03 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    It's also possible that the bike is not appropriately adjusted for your height/leg length, etc. I find that, if my seat is too low (or I ride my son's bike), my knees hurt afterward.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,878 Member
    Options
    Perhaps someone can help me. I started riding my exercise bike 2 weeks ago.

I now have slight to moderate pain across my left kneecap and on either side of my kneecap, especially when I stand up and start walking.

Does anyone know what this is?

Is your exercise bike set up properly for you?

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options

Endorsed!

When just getting on the fitness on-ramp, it's a really good plan to build a base with moderate-intensity (slightly challenging) manageable-length steady state workouts, as long as those fit into your life well. Gradually increase duration, intensity, or frequency as that is manageable/possible without overdoing or screwing up overall life balance (enough time/energy for family, work, chores, other hobbies, etc.).

After a few weeks to small number of months, that's time enough to start experimenting with intervals, higher intensity, etc., for most people.

What I'm finding, in aging (I'm 63), is that I can achieve pretty much anything I ever could, if I attack it with a sensible plan. What isn't quite as easy as it once was is avoiding injury (I'm not quite as resilient); and what isn't as fast as it once was is physically recovering from the injury itself, then regaining lost ground after an injury-triggered exercise hiatus (detraining happens faster, retraining slower).

For me, this puts a focus on smart training to avoid injury in the first place, focusing on steady, gradual fitness improvement. Your new plan sounds like a really good one, in that light.

Best wishes!
  • lollie1285
    lollie1285 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    My first thought was maybe your bike is not adjusted properly, which is what some others have mentioned as well. You need to make sure your seat is up high enough that you have a bend in your leg but not TOO bent, or you'll have pain.
  • Pamela_Sue
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for your instructive comments. I will definitely check the seat height on my exercise bike. I did really well for 2 weeks of riding at a steady pace of 12 to 13 mph, without any knee pain during those first 2 weeks, so I am thinking the intensity of the intermittent sprints I added on was too much for this old, rusty body. I need to work out smarter, which doesn't always mean faster. I was not being sensible, but trying to be the hero in my new workout efforts. As one poster stated, I can get a great workout on lower resistance, so don't let this limit me. I will patiently rest my knee in the meantime.
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Seat higher and back off resistance, spin more.