Did anyone else measure their inches when they started?

Options
serendipity22
serendipity22 Posts: 248 Member
I took a tape measure and measured pretty much everything when I started and recorded it. I also took a before picture of myself. I measured my thighs, waist, hips, chest, etc. I'm just wondering if anyone measured how many inches they lost.

Replies

• CharlieCharlie007
    CharlieCharlie007 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    MY dietitian does it, so yeas.
  • CharlieCharlie007
    CharlieCharlie007 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Tape measure and calipers are the only true measurement that matters. scales lie.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I measured the same as you, but also bicep, belly button, and 2" below belly button (about 3 finger widths down)...my torso is where I tend to carry the bulk of my fat, so I wanted extra measurements...sometimes I lose in the "low belly" even when my waist stays the same...which, to be fair, is where I most want to lose it anyway.
  • hlr1987
    hlr1987 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I've been using a tape measure and drawing on it Hip, bust, arm etc. Each month I get it out, draw new lines and it's a huge motivation to see physical changes on it
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I have just hit my first plateau, and it inspired me to measure. I think having more than one way to track progress will help me!
  • jean133mjg
    jean133mjg Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I got out my tape measure when I started, but was so depressed from the numbers that I gave up before even starting. Luckily, about a week later I did start. I threw out the paper with my initial measurements, so I can't compare the numbers. It's a great tool; don't do what I did. I know it's not too late but I still can't bring myself to do. Great perseverance to all!
  • serendipity22
    serendipity22 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    jean133mjg wrote: »
    I got out my tape measure when I started, but was so depressed from the numbers that I gave up before even starting. Luckily, about a week later I did start. I threw out the paper with my initial measurements, so I can't compare the numbers. It's a great tool; don't do what I did. I know it's not too late but I still can't bring myself to do. Great perseverance to all!

I saved all of my measurements and my before photo in a file on my computer. The numbers were all high but I think it will be nice in 6 months to measure again and see how far I've come. I've lost 9 pounds since starting about two months ago.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Yes! I'm so glad that I did. I lost so many inches. For example, my arms went from 18 inches to 11 inches.

The scale didn't tell the full story. I would get frustrated for not losing weight, but I losing inches and was making great progress so I knew good things were happening so I stayed consistent with using the tape measure.

I still keep track of my measurements during maintenance.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I sure did and I update them from time to time.
  • Allgaun
    Allgaun Posts: 221 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I measured chest, waist, hips. Surprisingly I haven't lost even an inch in any of those despite a 26 lbs. loss so far. I do notice that my arms, calves, thighs and face look thinner. Should have taken more measurements
  • Mjkozki
    Mjkozki Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I haven't measured for the same reasons. Measuring tape isn't working for the areas that Keto is focusing on right now, though people have mentioned my face is thinner. So I'm putting my focus on how well clothes fit over the next few months, which has been satisfying so far.
    I'm thinking by the end of June (I'm in the monthly challenge), I might be ready to use the measuring tape.:)
    Allgaun wrote: »
    I measured chest, waist, hips. Surprisingly I haven't lost even an inch in any of those despite a 26 lbs. loss so far. I do notice that my arms, calves, thighs and face look thinner. Should have taken more measurements

• SteroidalLolita
    SteroidalLolita Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I didn't measure at the very very start, but I started measuring about 15/20-ish pounds in. I do wish I had started at the beginning because in the last 20-something pounds I've gone down a good 6 inches. I can only imagine the difference from the very start.
  • saundraxo
    saundraxo Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I did bust waist and hips
    Im a beach whale
    I just started i figure imma go off of measurements than the numbers on the scale

40 33 38 i think it was 😭😭
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!