Lift heavy or light light for cutting?

Options
Hi peeps, I’m aiming to lose weight by dieting and working out, so far lost 1st 10lbs. However I’m not losing as much weight as I once was. Maybe a 1lb a week. I’ve switched to using heavier weights. For example, leg extension I was doing 18kg now doing 45kg. Is it best to lift heavy or fairly light for cutting? Cheers

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Cutting is all about calories.

What/how you lift is dependent on your goals as they pertain to weight lifting.

@chieflrg, can you give this one of your amazing, detailed answers. I don't have enough caffeine in me.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Lifting burns very few calories. The way oversimplified answer is that light weights, high rep = more for cardio /aerobic workout / endurance, while heavy weights at a lower rep count are for strength.

If you're in a cut, your lifting can help you maintain your muscle mass. Lifting heavy will do more to maintain current muscle mass. Lifting lighter will help you burn more calories. I find that lifting heavy makes me ravenous, so I do it inconsistently (but want to do it more).
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    More info needed maybe? What are your stats and how much do you need to lose? I'm asking because actual cutting (if you're following a guide) is a fairly drastic step for simple weight loss. Exercise for fitness, calorie deficit for weight loss, then after you're close to your goal, maybe then look into a bulking/cutting routine if you want to build some muscle.

I'm putting that out there because I seem to remember you posting only recently about having a fairly good amount of weight to lose. Apologies if I'm mistaken and that wasn't you.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit confused to if you meant lifting "heavy" would help you lose more weight or is it more beneficial in general.

As @quiksylver296 mentioned if intent is for losing weight, she is spot on. There simply isn't significant calories expenditure during most "heavy" training sessions to expect a noticeable difference of weight loss by itself.

I would add that "heavy" or "light" is very vague as there is no clear definition in relation to the stress or stimulus your body would encounter by the amount of weight alone. It would be easier to translate if we knew how much left in the tank you had for each set(s).
    Example: I use to lift x amount of weight for 15 reps with 2-3 left in tank each set. I currently lift 15% more weight for 15 reps with 2-3 left in the tank.

I will state that if you're goal is to lose weight, it is reasonable to gain strength while cutting fat. Especially if you are novel to lifting. I usually bump the volume up during a cut a tad to help retain/gain strength. As long the weight isn't decreasing at the same rep scheme previously, you probably are in a good range.

It also is a good idea to up your protein in the area of 2g per kg to help retain muscle as you lose weight.

• chrishamilton894
    chrishamilton894 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I was 15st 10lbs when I starting to workout and diet. My aim is to lose 3 stone. I’m aiming to lose 2lb a week, but I’m currently losing 1lb a week. I’m not a big carb lover so my macros is...
    Carbs 40%
    Protein 30%
    Fat 30%
    I thought I was only losing 1b a week because I was lifting heavier so will be putting on a little muscle whilst losing fat. I was losing 2lb a week until I switched from light weights to heavy weights.
    Cheers
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    If you kept the same rep scheme/volume while increasing the intensity, it is reasonable to say you probably retained a bit more water than previously.

It is also reasonable to say you might of lost more water(weight) at the start of your weight loss.

Regardless of the reasoning, weight loss is not linear and we can go through spurts of losing or not losing. Thinking long term and adjust if there is a trend for a few weeks.

• MT1134
    MT1134 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Make sure cutting is happening from your diet. Strength training helps you to burn calories and keep/add muscle but regardless of light or heavy reps, neither of them are going to contribute to "cutting" more than the other without the proper protocols from training, diet, and recovery.