Forcing daily calorie goal for muscle growth

Options
Just wondering if someone could offer some insight here. Since one of my goals is to build muscle, should I be "forcing" down all of my calories even after becoming full? Currently at 2100 calories, significant deficit for fat loss, high intensity workouts 6-7 times a week

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    If your goal is already "a significant deficit for fat loss," undereating on top of that is likely going to cost you muscle. Building muscle while undereating a calorie goal that is already a significant deficit is extremely unlikely.
  • JohnPaulEightyOne
    JohnPaulEightyOne Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    That's what I figured. My hunger is just kind of unpredictable. One day, I feel like I could eat double my calorie goal. Next day I'm struggling to meet the goal.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    It's generally accepted that there are three main elements if your aim is to preserve muscle or gain some muscle while losing weight.
    • Avoid excessive deficit /rapid weight loss - especially a prolonged and excessive deficit.
    • A higher protein goal.
    • A well designed and challenging weights/resistance program. Must say that "high intensity workouts 6-7 times a week" doesn't fill me with confidence that you have this element nailed down. A good program also regulates your recovery and overall training load at a time when your recovery will be compromised.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    A day at a larger deficit isn't going to be an issue if you make up for it on another day, especially if it happens on a non-training day (recovery days are needed for proper muscle growth). Maybe try a weekly calorie target instead of daily? This way you get to carry over any uneaten calories from days where you are not hungry to days where you feel you can eat more food, but your overall deficit over time will not be large enough to sabotage your progress.
  • JohnPaulEightyOne
    JohnPaulEightyOne Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Must say that "high intensity workouts 6-7 times a week" doesn't fill me with confidence that you have this element nailed down.

Only three of those days are resistance training with a personal trainer. The other days are my cardio days. And it's always 45 minutes on the Stair Master doing intervals (one minute at level 10 up on my toes, one minute at level 4 on my feet).

I'll take every other Sunday off. Should I take every Sunday off?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Must say that "high intensity workouts 6-7 times a week" doesn't fill me with confidence that you have this element nailed down.

Only three of those days are resistance training with a personal trainer. The other days are my cardio days. And it's always 45 minutes on the Stair Master doing intervals (one minute at level 10 up on my toes, one minute at level 4 on my feet).

I'll take every other Sunday off. Should I take every Sunday off?

That's a question for your personal trainer, he/she should know your capabilities and conditioning better including whether your interval training on the stair master is intense for you and your recovery is/isn't suffering.

Recovery issues and performance slumps are something both of you need to monitor and address if required.