Help with the upper body / weights

Options
I do a lot of cardio work and im happy with the lower half of my body, but really want to work on the upper half, problem is I know its weights that I need to do.

I have a dumb bell and weights at home, but get so bored and dont feel like I've done anything when I use them. I believe its because I dont actually know what I'm doing with them and dont really want to do them because I get bored.

Recently I have made the decision that im going to do it and bought a pump fx dvd to "inspire" and guide me. Anyone out there wanting to "be my friend" and help inspire with this?????

Replies

• jude3192
    jude3192 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Cada,

I have been doing weights with hubby for a while now and I have built up some definition over time. Some exercises we do with weights are bench presses, bicep curls, tricep curls, shoulder raises, tricep dips off a bench or even push ups will build up the shoulders.
  • Kate_Brown_123
    Kate_Brown_123 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hey there!

I was in a similar position to you...then I discovered BodyPump, it's a group exercise class that's run at my local gym and it's great fun, motivating music and dynamic!

It uses a barbell and you adjust the weights for each different part of your body...within a month I have lost 1.5cm on my arms and 2cm on my legs, my chest is stronger now too and press-up no longer leave me whimpering like a sad puppy! I love it and I would suggest you find out if a local gym near you run's the class, you would only need to go once per week to feel the benefit!

Otherwise I try to follow a "low weight, high rep" schedule if I am too poor to get to the gym at the end of the month!

PM me if you want any help :)
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Whether you are happy with your lower body or not, don't neglect it.
  • ShadeyC
    ShadeyC Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I LOVE pump! It's the only class at the gym I actually like.
    The weights are lower, but you are still working them, you do it to music, so it's a bit more upbeat, and it gets your heart pumping.
    I haven't been to pump for ages, but you've just reminded me how much I love it.
    It's a good place to start :)
    I personally haven't got that much definition in my arms yet as I carry all my weight on my top half.
    But I also am more inclined to lift heavy.
    Try a couple of pump classes and then you'll feel more confident with your DVD as well.
    I'm sure you'll find you like it when you feel the results :)
    Hang in there.
    Add me if you like :)
  • ShadeyC
    Options
    Whether you are happy with your lower body or not, don't neglect it.

Agreed
  • CharlotteAnneUK
    CharlotteAnneUK Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I did a pump session as a visitor at my sisters gym and I was looking at joining a local one, but I think they are very expensive for what I would use it for, given that I have an exercise bike, rowing machine, skipping rope, hula, weights, twist board, exercise programmes for the Wii and i am installing a building in the garden so I have my own mini gym at home.

Figured I'd go wiht the pump fx dvd, but it only arrived yesterday and I hope that it will be enough to keep me going, only i've never really got on too well with DVD's hence the call out for support on here.

With regards to the lower body, I still plan to do my lunch time cardo at work along with using my equipment at home and swimming twice a week.
  • ShadeyC
    Options
    I did a pump session as a visitor at my sisters gym and I was looking at joining a local one, but I think they are very expensive for what I would use it for, given that I have an exercise bike, rowing machine, skipping rope, hula, weights, twist board, exercise programmes for the Wii and i am installing a building in the garden so I have my own mini gym at home.

Figured I'd go wiht the pump fx dvd, but it only arrived yesterday and I hope that it will be enough to keep me going, only i've never really got on too well with DVD's hence the call out for support on here.

With regards to the lower body, I still plan to do my lunch time cardo at work along with using my equipment at home and swimming twice a week.

Swimming is good, try changing up your strokes and pulling more with your arms. Maybe do the lifesaver pull, onesided, then swap sides?
    I wish i could have a home gym. It would make life so much easier.
    I think with the DVD you really just need to get into a habit with it.
    I actually have a ballet/barre workout DVD. I've historically been terrible with DVD workouts, but for some reason this one got me, and I'm actually a bit addicted to it.
    Hopefully you'll like the one you have :)
    GOOD LUCK!
  • ritchiedrama
    Options

Squats plz!
  • CharlotteAnneUK
    CharlotteAnneUK Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I guess so.... I can do those and curls at the same time... what do you think would be a good beginers number?
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    I guess so.... I can do those and curls at the same time... what do you think would be a good beginers number?

Well for squats just start at bodyweight, one day do 10, next time you do them do 15.. etc..

Then start using weights, if you don't have a barbell you can use (can't remember if you mentioned earlier) start holding something heavy (bottles of water/wearing a back pack with books in)

Just try progress