Exercises for increasing calf strength and balance?

Options
As an attempt to improve my balance and leg strength, I started using the Stair Master daily back in December. It's been working pretty well. My balance and strength have definitely improved, but I think I've accomplished what I can by walking stairs. I still wobble a bit when I walk, more so when I run. My trainer works my legs with all kinds of torture (squats, deadlifts, etc) but I'd like something to try on my "cardio" days.

For context, I ended up with cancer: a massive liposarcoma behind my left knee. I underwent radiation to shrink the tumor, and surgery to remove the tumor. In order to fill the large hole left behind, my calf muscle was sort of "butterflied" and unfolded over said hole. Any tips would be greatly appreciated (and sorry for the gross photo).

j26nm5aswnr2.jpg

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Ouch. Came here to see what I could learn. I also have some balance issues. Mine has gotten better just by doing simple things like standing on one leg a while, then the other. And would you believe it, the best thing was—- hula dancing. I think because you bend your knees and walk, you use different muscles, and you have to learn to balance a little differently. I will definitely be watching this thread for some good ideas.
  • JohnPaulEightyOne
    JohnPaulEightyOne Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hula dancing? That's very interesting. Would definitely enjoy trying that
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,063 Member
    Options
    Walking up and down stairs ... especially down.
    Walking up and down hills.
    Walking on sand or in snow.
    Calf raises on curb edges or edges of stairs.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,656 Member
    Options
    I got some balance improvement from standing on one leg anytime I was just standing around, like in line at a store: Sole just barely off the floor, so inobvious to casual observers. As this got easy, I would swing the free leg around to challenge balance, in circumstances when it wouldn't be too eccentric.

This isn't a dramatic improver, but is a good add-on since it's otherwise wasted time.

Martial arts of various sorts tend to be good for balance, and are fun.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I would side with your trainer.

There is no better strength/balance exercise than squatting and deadlifts.

Having to walk out weight and hit depth and rack as well pulling and holding heavy weight for you will optimalize strength/balance combo gains.

Cool scar btw.
  • JohnPaulEightyOne
    Options
    With your specific previous medical issues, I'm a bit hesitant to say too much. Did you have physical therapy after surgery? Did the PT give you specific exercises to work those issues?

Quite a bit of PT for several months. I basically had to learn how to walk again and had to wear a brace. I was told that the brace would more than likely be permanent and was also advised to always carry a walking cane of some sort. As you can see, my ankle was doing some very strange things. There were no specific exercises, though. It was basically just trying to improve strength and range with stretches and whatnot. This was 2017.

svec5k812rkp.jpg

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I would definitely go with yoga - so many balancing poses.

Maybe some plyometric training if your PT is ok with it.

Also, don't forget you can get a ton of blance challenge out of simply closing your eyes while standing (possibly on one leg).
  • BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Woah that's a lot of staples! Congrats on beating cancer (I assume you are in remission?) I'm going to second yoga for balance! Sooo many fun to master balancing poses out there.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Yah I had the same future prediction a few years back. But my cane/wheelchair was because my doctors were not up to date on the benefits of strength training not alone understanding how to.

• bonnieny2018
    bonnieny2018 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had subchondroplasty done on both of my knees in the last 2 years and found my balance again after losing weight and starting one simple exercise after my PT was over: I stand on one leg when putting on and taking off my socks every day. I still do it just to keep myself in check and refuse to sit down to do it. Good luck!
  • KNoceros
    KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    What about a wobble board? They’re great for balance. You could start on two legs and move onto just your bad leg. Not expensive either.
    I ski so balance is a big part of that and used a wobble board a lot both when rehabbing an ACL injury and just for general proprioception / balance issues.
    Also, I would echo the recommendations for yoga balancing poses.
  • JohnPaulEightyOne
    Options
    Thank you all so much for all the great advice! I'll definitely be trying all of this to try and improve. What a great community
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I love my wobble board. But my physiotherapist also had me fold a pillow in half and try standing on one leg on that. It's less wobbly than a board, forces your leg muscles to make micro adjustments to keep you upright.
  • vollkornbloedchen
    vollkornbloedchen Posts: 2,243 Member
    Options
    As suggested already: Wobble- or Balance-boards.
    Not sure if jumping is already within reach, if so try the good ole jump rope ...
    and, of course,
    there's always cycling (preferably uphill)
  • JohnPaulEightyOne
    Options
    Not sure if jumping is already within reach, if so try the good ole jump rope ...

I have the strength and endurance for jump rope, no problem. I just...can't seem to find my rhythm 😅 Longest I've gone without tripping up is maybe 45 seconds?
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    My health issues are much different but my physiotherapist has me use a bosu ball for balance training.
  • Strongfitmama100412
    Strongfitmama100412 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Congrats on beating cancer (I assume you are in remission?)

So far, so good. 😁 It looked like it was starting to spread to my lungs (regular CT scans of my chest showed growing nodules) but once I started this health journey, they slowly vanished before reaching the point of requiring a biopsy. Whatever it actually was, I'm just glad I won't have to deal with it anymore
    Congratulations!!!! This is wonderful news.

Yoga and also a bosu ball are awesome for balance.

https://www.bosu.com/shop

Live happy and healthy.