• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,625 Member
    Options
    Leave out the potato in gado gado.
    https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/gado-gado-salad
  • HereToLose50
    HereToLose50 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    That's not going to be an easy diet to follow or find.

You should try the groups and look for a veg group to help you.

You will need to pay extra attention to meeting nutritional needs if you want to eat so strict.
  • nykoeldkahn
    nykoeldkahn Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I was a low carb vegetarian for awhile - it's definitely not an easy diet to follow. Do you eat dairy products, eggs, or fish?

When I was doing this diet, dairy and eggs became my primary source of protein for the most part, but I can guarantee you that you will have to work really hard to meet your protein needs.

That being said, my favorite meals were veggie and cheese omelettes for breakfast, I did salads with cheese and oil/vinegar dressings for lunch/dinners. Unsweetened yogurt is an good snack option. Also, cucumber slices with cream cheese (or smoked salmon if you eat fish), olives, celery and nutbutters (with the caveat that you watch the carb intake on the nutbutters) are reasonable snacks. I also did a lot of veggie terrine type things for dinners (layering zucchini/courgettes, eggplants/aubergines, tomatoes, cheese and fresh herbs.

Zucchini/courgette noodles with homemade marinara and cheese or pesto (again be mindful of the carbs in the nuts in the pesto). Beans and other pulses aren't "low-carb" but can be eaten in moderation for protein if you balance the carbs you eat elsewhere in your day depending on how low carb you're going.

All of this being said, I wouldn't recommend low carb vegetarianism as a lifestyle. I found for me that it tended to lead to protein deficiencies and generally an orthorexic mentality, which wasn't healthy for me. It was a good way to help me be more mindful about what I'm eating and to break the habit of eating excess sugar and junk food, though.
  • umasharma135
    umasharma135 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Please help to get the vegetarian recipes that help in reducing weight
  • omobad312
    omobad312 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just stopped doing a vegetarian keto diet. I was hoping it could be a lifestyle but it caused me too much stress to be healthy for me. I’m still incorporating more low carb meals but not keto. Anyways, there are several vegetarian and vegan youtubers who do “what I eat in a day” videos. Tom DeLauer, Ketoconnect, and Dr Berg also speak on the topic on YouTube.

I didn’t find it hard to get in my protein, but that’s because I eat tofu and tempeh, but I know some have issues with processed foods which is understandable. The brand Surata for tempeh appears to have 0 net carbs in case you are looking into that.

Hope you get the info you need!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    But, why?

Vegetarian by its very nature is high in carbs.

If you are trying to lose weight you don’t have to do low carb.

What are your goals?
  • jgnatca
    Options
    All recipes will work. To lose weight get a scale and measure out your portions.

Stay within your calorie goal and you will lose weight.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Scrambled tofu for breakfast.

Baked tofu chips for snacks.

Stir fry tofu for lunch.

Tofu casserole for dinner.

Can you see the trouble with this?

If you are eating vegetarian as a lifestyle choice, eat all the vegetables.

If you are trying to lose weight, watch your portion sizes.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Why? I can see low-grain vegetarian, low-refined carb vegetarian... but vegetables are carbohydrates.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a medical reason to restrict carbs, then I would encourage you not to do it. Carbs don't have any relevance to weight loss, and vegetarian proteins usually have carbs. A low carb vegetarian diet is going to make protein tough to get, unless you're okay with relying on things like eggs and dairy. I would pick one: either vegetarian or low carb, whichever best fits your preferences/beliefs.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,625 Member
    Options
    Soupe au pistou.
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2009/aug/15/vegetarian-pistou-soup

I do a cheat's version with a bag of mixed frozen veg, some diced fresh tomato, a tin of white beans and a couple of stock cubes. Stir a big glug of store bought pesto (deli counter is better than supermarket jars) to each bowl of soup at the table.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    A lovely vegetarian recipe, with plenty of delicious carbs.