Gym Question

I've lost 175 lbs (with between 50 to 60 lbs more to go.) As expected I have parts of my body with extra sagging and am strongly considering joining a gym. (Mostly upper arms and thighs.) Would working on various machines help that -at all- or would I be dreaming? Any input is very much appreciated.

Replies

• Jesslan_Rose
    Jesslan_Rose Posts: 137 Member
    Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge! Any suggestions on the machines that would be best to accomplish wgat I need?
  • morganjw1
    morganjw1 Posts: 18 Member
    Weight training is great as an assist with weight loss and for the toning and shaping of your body. High reps, and low weight will definitely help with the toning. Congrats on your incredible journey.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge! Any suggestions on the machines that would be best to accomplish wgat I need?

If you join a gym, they should give you a tour and show you all the machines. Machines are fine for your goals. You don't have to jump straight into the free weights section.

Some gyms actually have their machines set up in a circuit that helps make sure you hit all your muscle groups.

Do you know what gym you'll be joining?
  • Jesslan_Rose
    billkansas wrote: »
    Don't rule out free weights and especially barbell exercises. They provide the most benefit and are more fun. "Starting Strength" is a book and program that everyone can benefit from (even weaklings like myself). It is also a program you can do in your garage or basement.

Congrats on your incredible willpower and accomplishments so far! It sounds like you can do anything you put your mind to.

Unfortunately I think free weights and barbells might be out of the question, at least for my arms. Between fibromyalgia and carpal tunnel I don't want to kill my wrists. :( Thank you for the tip on the book & program. I'll definitely look into those.

Thank you so much for your encouragement! :)
  • Jesslan_Rose
    morganjw1 wrote: »
    Weight training is great as an assist with weight loss and for the toning and shaping of your body. High reps, and low weight will definitely help with the toning. Congrats on your incredible journey.

I hadn't considered low weight and just more reps. Maybe that would work. I automatically jumped to the thought of high weights. Thanks! :)
  • Jesslan_Rose
    If you join a gym, they should give you a tour and show you all the machines. Machines are fine for your goals. You don't have to jump straight into the free weights section.

Some gyms actually have their machines set up in a circuit that helps make sure you hit all your muscle groups.

Do you know what gym you'll be joining?

Great to know. I've never been to a gym before. I've done my workouts at home or walked in the past.

Planet Fitness is really the only one nearby. It's brand new at the mall. My neighbor recommended it.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    billkansas wrote: »
    Don't rule out free weights and especially barbell exercises. They provide the most benefit and are more fun. "Starting Strength" is a book and program that everyone can benefit from (even weaklings like myself). It is also a program you can do in your garage or basement.

Congrats on your incredible willpower and accomplishments so far! It sounds like you can do anything you put your mind to.

^^^this

I've had far better results using free weights than many of my friends have using machines. The trouble with machines is they force you to use an unnatural range of motion, and don't force you to use the smaller stabilising muscles.

Big, compound movements like a clean and press does so much more than using the various machines that would hit some of the same muscles. It's no where nearly as hard to master as it first appears, I started with strong lifts 5x5 and then moved on to 5/3/1 for a bit. Did pyramids for a while and have restarted 5/3/1 this last month.

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    My advice to you is to join the Planet Fitness in the mall near your home and ask someone there to show you how to use everything. If they have trainers, hire one for 8-10 sessions or so (even if you have to pay this is usually a good investment because you will learn a lot) and ask the trainer to put together a program for you. Then after you’ve stopped with the trainer you can do the program on your own.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    whmscll wrote: »
    My advice to you is to join the Planet Fitness in the mall near your home and ask someone there to show you how to use everything. If they have trainers, hire one for 8-10 sessions or so (even if you have to pay this is usually a good investment because you will learn a lot) and ask the trainer to put together a program for you. Then after you’ve stopped with the trainer you can do the program on your own.

It may be dependent on the location but the PF in my community doesn't require any type of certification (other than CPR) for the position they call fitness trainer. From their website positions available:

Qualifications/Requirements
    • A passion for fitness and health!
    • Upbeat and positive attitude.
    • Punctuality and reliability is a must.
    • Exceptional customer service skills; able to interact in a positive and professional way with members and co-workers, exceeding the member’s expectations.
    • Strong listener with the ability to empathize and problem solve.
    • Demonstrate diplomacy in all interactions while using appropriate behavior and language.
    • Current CPR Certification required.
    • Exceptional knowledge of Exercise Science.
    • High School diploma/GED equivalent required.
    • Must be 18 years of age or older.

Please do a bit of research into qualifications
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »

No free weights are fine if you want to give it go. The key is load management and progressive overload.

Barbell movements such as squat, deaflift, bench, rows, and press can all be extremely beneficial to people with fibro or chronic pain.

Take it from a person who is pain 24/7 and couldn't walk without a cane or hold a coffee cup without dropping it in a recent years and now has many powerlifting records.

There is plenty of evidence that shoes the benefits of strength training for those with fibro. You just need to use the proper loads.

I would offer you my services as a trainer free of charge but I think MFP would give me another strike for doing so.

Got to agree with the bold, I have EDS type 3 and live with a constant level of pain, all day, everyday. But it has improved significantly as I've strengthened my body

• imxnianne
    imxnianne Posts: 216 Member
    Resistant bands, free weights that are light. Also, remember that lose skin needs time to recooperate. It can take years, since it was stretched out.
  • katarina005
    katarina005 Posts: 259 Member
    I've lost 175 lbs (with between 50 to 60 lbs more to go.) As expected I have parts of my body with extra sagging and am strongly considering joining a gym. (Mostly upper arms and thighs.) Would working on various machines help that -at all- or would I be dreaming? Any input is very much appreciated.

It can't hurt. Sadly that's the souvenir you get from losing weight - skin. I hate mine. But it's gone away a lot, be patient. You can tone and that may help the appearance but it's still there. Strength training at any rate is supposed to be good for bones too. I belong to a gym to be with others trying to be fit and all that it offers. You should look at Yoga or other classes they have too.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    While starting out low weights/high reps while learning how to do the exercises safely and with proper form can be beneficial, once you get the hang of it, higher weights, lower reps will stimulate your muscles more. Women can lift heavy too.