Will Losing Weight Bring Back My Personality?

Options
Tonight during training I realized how much of my personality I’ve hidden or lost because of my weight gain. I remembered how bubbly and goofy I used to be and I realized how serious and subdued I am now, because I don’t want to draw attention to myself. I don’t want people to notice me or have anything to say about me.

I guess I realized just how much I started to hate myself and punish myself just because I stopped liking how I looked. And now here I am. I don’t like how I look or act...

I sobbed when I got home. I’m so mad at myself. And I feel so sad. And yes, I’m also happy that I’m now finally doing this and doing it right. But... will losing the weight bring me back to the PERSON I was? Or will I just look like her but still be the “fat” me?

Has anyone else felt this way? Do I even make sense? I feel so sad and lost right now. And I ate ~1,000 over my calories today so that’s definitely not helping my mood either.

Replies

• gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I know this exact feeling!
  • elizabethtodd1992
    elizabethtodd1992 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    @gallicinvasion It’s good to know I’m not alone!
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I think I was a bit like that too. I also was depressed, so that didn't help, but now I feel SOOOO much better and more like my old self than I did when I was fat.

• nwnightowl206
    nwnightowl206 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel, my dad is a very superficial person and makes mean comments about overweight people, so when I gained weight I felt worthless, it is slowly getting better as I loss it once and for all, but I have a ways to go. Good luck on your journey. :)
  • elizabethtodd1992
    Options
    @Cahgetsfit thank you, it helps to hear that it comes back to you. I’m really looking forward to feeling that way again
  • elizabethtodd1992
    Options
    @nwnightowl206 oh yeah. My mom would always comment about my bigger cousin and say mean things. One day I realized I was as big as my cousin, or at least getting there, and it did not feel good to think about my mom’s comments. Or really, it doesn’t feel good to think about anyone’s comments. I can only imagine what people say behind my back... And I can’t wait to hear their comments when I lose it.
  • zebra626
    zebra626 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I completely understand where you are coming from, I feel much the same. Kinda feels like with every kg I've gained a little of "me" dissappeared. I don't even know who I am anymore. 😢 I do know I'm too embarrassed to visit my folks because being fat is the worst crime
  • elizabethtodd1992
    Options
    @zebra626 I have definitely tried to get out of family visits, both blood and in laws. We have a big family trip coming up and today I was seriously contemplating how I could get out of it. So sad because I should be excited! I want to work on being happy and loving myself without the weight loss though. I feel like that will be a major key to me actually achieving my goal weight.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I realized (afterwards) that I felt invisible and therefore had started acting invisible. I'm never exactly outgoing, but being comfortable in my own skin goes a long way toward helping me at least pretend I'm not completely socially inept ;)
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    To a great extent, this is up to you!

Certainly being active and putting a focus on taking care of yourself will help you to feel better, even if you do not lose weight.

Could you be depressed? Sometimes this is something that sneaks up over time.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I have known people who have lost weight and seemed like they turned into a happier easy going person.

I wish you didn't feel sad about your breakthrough...and that's what it was.. now you can make real change and get your happy back. You can do it!!!
  • ms_maruska
    ms_maruska Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I don't want to sound pessimistic but it won't happen by itself. It sounds like your weight gain has had a psychological impact on how you see yourself and how you (maybe subconsciously) want to present yourself to others. I don't think it can just go away like it hasn't taken a toll on you. It obviously did. But that is also the good news - you have become aware of this change and you are aware now how you would like to be and who you would like to be.

Maybe I'm all wrong because I don't know you and others are saying the complete opposite but I'm saying this from personal experience. I have only recently realized that others saying to me that 'this too shall pass' or 'it'll get easier' or 'you have always been shy or introverted'.. it's made more damage as I kept waiting for the old me to fall from the sky. After years of doing that, I realized that I really need to start making small changes toward who I want to be, just like little changes with the diet in order to lose weight and make a physical change.

You said you're sad and that's ok, you need to process this. But try and see this realization also as a good thing as this is the first step you have already made to change yourself for the better, and happier you.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Interesting discussion.

How about comediennes who are no longer funny after they've lost weight? It does happen.

I was so grumpy during a diet that my kids were sure I was in menopause I wasn't even 40 then).

• elizabethtodd1992
    Options
    To a great extent, this is up to you!

Certainly being active and putting a focus on taking care of yourself will help you to feel better, even if you do not lose weight.

Could you be depressed? Sometimes this is something that sneaks up over time.

I think depression might definitely be playing a role. I've been going through a lot of life changes beyond weight gain and it all seems to be piling up.
  • elizabethtodd1992
    Options
    I have known people who have lost weight and seemed like they turned into a happier easy going person.

I wish you didn't feel sad about your breakthrough...and that's what it was.. now you can make real change and get your happy back. You can do it!!!

A breakthrough! What a great way to look at this! I'm finally seeing what's been going on and that will allow me to work on it. Thank you!!
  • elizabethtodd1992
    Options
    I don't want to sound pessimistic but it won't happen by itself. It sounds like your weight gain has had a psychological impact on how you see yourself and how you (maybe subconsciously) want to present yourself to others. I don't think it can just go away like it hasn't taken a toll on you. It obviously did. But that is also the good news - you have become aware of this change and you are aware now how you would like to be and who you would like to be.

Maybe I'm all wrong because I don't know you and others are saying the complete opposite but I'm saying this from personal experience. I have only recently realized that others saying to me that 'this too shall pass' or 'it'll get easier' or 'you have always been shy or introverted'.. it's made more damage as I kept waiting for the old me to fall from the sky. After years of doing that, I realized that I really need to start making small changes toward who I want to be, just like little changes with the diet in order to lose weight and make a physical change.

You said you're sad and that's ok, you need to process this. But try and see this realization also as a good thing as this is the first step you have already made to change yourself for the better, and happier you.

I appreciate your honesty because you are so right. I realized after I posted this last night that I need to work on loving myself and letting myself "be me" around others again. Losing the weight will maybe give me a little more confidence, or at least not make me paranoid about others thinking I'm fat, BUT I won't be that goofy person again unless I truly learn to love who I am and be comfortable no matter what. Thank you for your input!