New to muscle gain, need some advice

For the past 16 months, I've been at a calorie deficit. I'm 5'11.5 (bad posture, might be 6') and I started at 350 lbs. Currently at 220-ish lbs. I've been doing resistance training with a personal trainer since January. I have built some muscle (because lean muscle helps burn fat?) but now it feels like I'm only maintaining. I think I have decided to focus a little more on building muscle.

Considering that I still have a significant amount of body fat (something like 25% based on what a little handheld machine said), should I stay at somewhat of a caloric deficit? Should I be at a surplus?

I have tried to study this some, but it can get pretty confusing. From what I've read, I should lift heavy during a surplus for a few weeks, then go into a deficit and lift lighter to maintain lean mass while burning fat? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• JohnPaulEightyOne
    JohnPaulEightyOne Posts: 127 Member
    Thank you so much. I was honestly dreading the idea of going into a surplus. I'll try what you've suggested here to get try and just get the fat loss out of the way.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Are you using MFP correctly to really have only that 1 lb weekly loss?
    Some create bigger deficit because they don't log workouts correctly - that'll make things worse for you - and could be reason for what seems a stall.

Besides progress does slow down anyway.
  • JohnPaulEightyOne
    JohnPaulEightyOne Posts: 127 Member
    edited June 2019
    I'm not so sure I am using MFP correctly for that. I don't include the workouts into the calorie counter.

And I meet with my trainer three times a week, but we never just work on a major muscle group. It's fully body, combing body groups to push or pull weight, super sets, things of that sort. The other three or four days I'll do 45 minutes on the StairMaster while doing calf raises.
  • gonnasnap
    gonnasnap Posts: 146 Member
    If your calories are based on your tdee you want to be sure you’re eating enough to build muscle. You might wanna swap the scale for a tape and track progress that way
  • simonwood1981
    simonwood1981 Posts: 4 Member
    edited June 2019
    I would do fullbody training three times a week (stick to compound lifts), keep your protein high, 0.8 - 1 lbs per bodyweight and stay in a calorie deficit until you can see your six pack. It will take time but keeping the calories high will ensure you keep as much lean mass as possible while you lose the fat.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited June 2019
    Literature suggests that If you're male and have a waist measurement of 37" or greater(female 33" or more), it's in your best interest to continue to lose weight over gaining muscle. As your weight continues to drop along with your health risks then entertaining hypertrophy goals would be more appropriate.

Also lifting heavy or light is very vague in terms of correct dosage of intensity. One can take light weights and apply more fatigue and stress then heavy weights. I'll generally program a lighter average intensity for either hypertrophy or weight loss but with more volume.
  • Spadesheart
    Spadesheart Posts: 463 Member
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Why do you feel you need to gain muscle mass? While you have made tremendous progress so far, and you should feel proud, 220 is still quite a bit outside the healthy weight for your height.

Unless you are already very muscular, you are probably quite a bit higher than 25% body fat at your current stats. I am 5'11 and under 205, and my body fat is likely around 28%. I am not sure what handheld machine you used but they are traditionally not very accurate.

Due to your substantial loss, and your long period of time in a deficit, it may benefit you to take a diet break of at least a couple of weeks, possibly a month or even longer, where you eat at maintainence and reset mentally and physically for the final phase of your weight loss. Keep lifting during this time.

After your diet break, I would continue with a deficit, but a slower one than you have done in the past. Target no more than a pound a week, and keep lifting weights to improve strength and maintain the muscle mass you have.

It's very possible that the body fat could be accurate if he was working out on the way down. Often to cope with the weight of a larger body, there is a significant amount of muscle to begin with. Walking around with 350 pounds daily isn't a joke. If he was working out on the way down with adequate nutrition, he could very possibly have maintained much of his musculature.

Chances are this isn't the case, but it's very possible.