Which peanut butter is better for you?

Options

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,766 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest avoiding any peanut butter with a hydrogenated oil on the ingredients list, because trans fats aren't good for us even in small amounts, and anything less than 0.5g lists as zero in the trans fats line on the label as I understand it.

Other than that, crunchy vs. smooth doesn't matter. I prefer a crunchy PB with just peanuts and salt in it, but that's a taste-preference thing.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    t8q9jxvx2jsz.jpg

The only thing those differences can reflect is different formulations in the available brands of smooth and crunchy peanut butters the USDA found to purchase and average. If you buy a peanutbutter that contains nothing but peanuts and salt, there won't be variations in the added or substituted fats and how much sugar is added.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    There is very little difference between crunchy or creamy as far as nutrition goes. The one thing you should look for (and avoid) in any peanut butter are those with palm or palm kernel oil. Definitely not one of the healthier oils and the production is causing deforestation at an alarming rate.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I always check the ingredients and don't buy the ones with palm oil in. Also check the salt content.

Was looking at almond butter earlier in a bargain store, was interested because was crunchy, and usually only see smooth almond butter. First thing in the ingredients list was vegetable oil, so that stayed on the shelf!
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    My fav is Trader Joe’s crunchy/salted. I love the taste and the fact that it has two ingredients; peanuts and salt.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    It’s whatever you enjoy more. Crunchy for me, I like crunch in my food.
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Skippy crunchy reduced fat is my FAVORITE. I think I love the fake sugars they put in there. But i once tried a butterscotch peanut butter made at a local farmers market; heaven!
  • forestfreek
    forestfreek Posts: 5,770 Member
    Options
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    All I know about peanut butter is that if anyone tells you you're eating to much of it, get rid of them. No one needs that kind of negativity.
    Exactly.

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    JIF Creamy is better for you.

End of discussion.

Jif over Kraft all day, every day!
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options

wow! I thought I was doing great by making my own homemade pb (ha!)...this is some serious love of peanuts! Well done!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,766 Member
    Options

People think they only grow in the South, in the US. My dad grew plenty of nice ones, in Michigan. The rabbits loved them, though: Before he started putting frames with hardware cloth on top of them, the fuzzy bunnies would abscond with whole plants! Grow so interestingly, too, with the above-ground flowers generating below-ground nuts, via the peg. Weird!

Kudos for growing them!
  • Roy1C
    Roy1C Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Our local grocery (Publix) has peanut butter in the deli which is just ground peanuts only. No sugar or additives of any kind. If you can find it, it’s a much better option
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    Neither.

Unlike every other person on MFP ( it seems to me) I do not like peanut butter and don't have any in my house and never eat it.

* crawls into corner* :D
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Neither.

Unlike every other person on MFP ( it seems to me) I do not like peanut butter and don't have any in my house and never eat it.

* crawls into corner* :D

h1QlMCq.gif

:D
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    As I'm assuming you're in the UK, I'd say that neither is better than the other, go for one that is 100% nut in whichever texture you prefer.
    I like the Meridian and Whole Earth brands, crunchy nut butters with apple slices, on rice cakes or in a satay sauce, smooth in smoothies and porridge (actually quite like crunchy in porridge too). I like to vary my nut butters too though, almond butter, cashew butter, hazelnut butter all have different flavours and textures.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Most peanut butter is right for me. Is that the right answer?
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Whichever you prefer eating that you can fit into your calories. But, I can't see why it's an either/or. I have creamy, crunchy, natural, processed. Which one I choose is based on how I'm using it and my desire at the time.