Random - Blueberries

Options
I am not a big fruit person, but on Monday night I bought some blueberries as I believe they are supposed to be good for you.

I have kept them in the fridge and I am concerned that they have white "fur", I presume where stalks once were. Am I just really naive and throwing away good blueberries or do they really go off that quick?

This perticular supermarket are not known for their "good" fruit,

Replies

• bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Berries in general don't last more than a couple days - if they do, they've gone through some sort of processing to make them that way. Only buy them when you're ready to eat them, or get the frozen ones.
  • krmullig
    krmullig Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Definitely throw them away. What you're seeing is most likely mold which I doubt you'd enjoy. Like the previous poster noted berries have an extremely short life and you'll want to consume them with in the first couple days of purchase. Citrus and apples tend to be pretty long lasting if you're looking for fruit that stays edible for a while.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's mold. Blueberries mold very very quickly. Buy them and eat them immediately. They won't last much more than one or two days in the fridge.
  • kasiaj
    kasiaj Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    When you first buy blueberries and bring them home, put them in a mixture of water and vinegar (about 10:1) for a few minutes (10-15). Rinse them with water and store in the fridge. The vinegar natural kills the mold spores. The berries DO NOT taste or smell like vinegar after (if they do just rinse again). They last in my fridge for about 7 days.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    All about blueberries - Article at Wholefoods. Very informative.

Fresh berries are very fragile and should be washed briefly and carefully and then gently patted dry if they are not organic. Wash berries just prior to use to not prematurely remove the protective bloom that resides on the skin's surface. If you know the source of either wild or organic berries try not to wash them at all. http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=8
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I get totally organic (no-spray) blueberries from our CSA several weeks out of the year, and when I don't I get them from the Farmer's Market, and they seem to last forever - at least a week, maybe more. I avoid grocery store produce whenever I can. Obviously, for certain items (and most items in the winter here in the Midwest) it's often impossible, but whenever you can, BUY LOCAL. Especially when you can get to know your farmer and his/her growing practices. Tastes better, lasts WAY longer.