Can't diet any more, need a lifestyle change.

Options
I have gained and lost tons of weight. I am right now at my highest weight and starting to have health issues related to inactivity and poor eating habits. It is time to stop dieting and find a life style that will allow me to regain my health. I am 60 and recently retired, so no time for exercise excuse bit the dust I guess! LOL

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

When it comes to exercise, the important thing is to ramp up slowly. This will help build strength and endurance and avoid injuries that will sideline you.
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Your discussion title says it all! It really is about lifestyle change. At 73, I finally figured that out this time. Down 50 pounds and in maintenance for 4 months. The main difference this time was deciding to make lifestyle changes, not just go on a diet. I committed to follow strategies that I felt I could do forever. It worked (and is working in maintenance.)

Best wishes as you embark on a new phase in your life and develop healthy lifestyle changes.
  • forestfreek
    forestfreek Posts: 5,770 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your retirement! That's exciting :)
    I think you've got the right mind-set. Diets are temporary fixes to weight or health issues. To make long-term, sustainable changes you have to be committed to making whatever your program is to get there a forever thing.
    You have to live a lifestyle that works for you - not everyone else. For example, many people have great success with cutting out or greatly reducing their carbs. For myself, this would not be a change that I could live with as I'm passionate about pasta, breads, etc. lol. So knowing this about myself, I've adapted a lifestyle change that includes healthier eating and exercise but not a significant reduction in my carb intake. It's just not a change I care to make (as it would make me miserable!! ha ha!) I don't really like the gym so I'm not going to force myself into going there when the result would just be unhappiness for me. So I get my exercise in the great outdoors, instead :) It's all a matter of doing what works for you - while still making life enjoyable.
    Good luck :)