Is hummus actually good for weight loss?

Options
SeanD2407
SeanD2407 Posts: 139 Member
Ive been dipping baby carrots, green peppers and broccoli in roasted red pepper humus all week (basically 50%) of my diet besides chicken breasts, tuna, bananas and quest bars. To lose these impossible last 10lbs.

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Some people see hummus as a “diet food,” maybe because it’s often eaten with low calorie veggies. However, as others mentioned, there is no such thing as a “good” or “bad” food for weight loss. It’s all about how many calories you take in, and hummus can be a lot more calorie dense than people realize.

If you’re looking for a lower calorie dip for your veggies, you might try baba ghannouj, tzatziki, or reduced calorie salad dressings. However, keep in mind that like any other food, dip calories can add up fast if you don’t weigh your portion, and many people underestimate how much dip (or anything else) they eat if they don’t weigh it.
  • SeanD2407
    SeanD2407 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    Some people see hummus as a “diet food,” maybe because it’s often eaten with low calorie veggies. However, as others mentioned, there is no such thing as a “good” or “bad” food for weight loss. It’s all about how many calories you take in, and hummus can be a lot more calorie dense than people realize.

If you’re looking for a lower calorie dip for your veggies, you might try baba ghannouj, tzatziki, or reduced calorie salad dressings. However, keep in mind that like any other food, dip calories can add up fast if you don’t weigh your portion, and many people underestimate how much dip (or anything else) they eat if they don’t weigh it.
    They are 150 calories when individually wrapped. They come in packages of 6. Those are probably accurate. Same thing for those mini bags of carrots i use for 25 a bag.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    As long as you are sticking to a calorie deficit, any food is “good” for weight loss. There are no “bad” foods for weight loss. Eating the same amount (maintenance) of calories your body burns, will result in no weight loss. Eating more calories than your body burns results in weight gain. The beauty of losing weight is you choose what you eat/drink, within your calorie deficit. Hopefully, paying attention to your nutritional needs.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Hummus (at least the one I eat), has only slightly fewer calories than ice cream per 100 grams. I find myself needing to moderate it just like I moderate ice cream. If you don't eat so much of either that you're leaving a main meal unsatisfied, both hummus and ice cream can diet foods. If hummus (or any other food) results in consuming more calories than you'd like, then it's a food to watch on a diet.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I love hummus. I mix 1-2 Tbsp into my tuna salad in place of mayo. Hummus is higher in both fiber and protein and provides “good” fats, as well as more flavor.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    I love hummus. I mix 1-2 Tbsp into my tuna salad in place of mayo. Hummus is higher in both fiber and protein and provides “good” fats, as well as more flavor.

So, it has good nutrients. But as others have said, there is no good or bad food for weight loss. It's all about how much (or how many calories) and should be viewed in the context of an overall diet.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    SeanD2407 wrote: »

They are 150 calories when individually wrapped. They come in packages of 6. Those are probably accurate. Same thing for those mini bags of carrots i use for 25 a bag.

Throw one on the scale and see. I've had 150 calorie packs of food that ended up being 225+. Added up, it can make a big difference. Particularly if you're eating a lot of it.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

So, it has good nutrients. But as others have said, there is no good or bad food for weight loss. It's all about how much (or how many calories) and should be viewed in the context of an overall diet.

Did I say hummus was either good or bad for weight loss? Not sure why you felt the need to “correct” my post merely saying that I liked the food.

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    SeanD2407 wrote: »

Don’t assume that. Prepackaged foods are not always exactly the weight stated on the package. If you want to be accurate, weigh all your food.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    hummus is also like peanut butter ... so okay and good at one tablespoon. Maybe two for hummus. But I can't stop at just that. It is so calorie dense.. I keep both out of my house..unless I want to gain weight.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

Did I say hummus was either good or bad for weight loss? Not sure why you felt the need to “correct” my post merely saying that I liked the food.

Not sure how you felt I corrected your post. I agreed with the fact that hummus is nutrient dense. But for the benefit of the OP, pointed out and reinforced to them that it's about calories and not individual foods. That is the topic at hand.