Strength training fatigue

Options
33gail33
33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
Is it normal to be noticeably tired the day after a strength training/weight lifting session? Not muscle fatigue and pain, but just tired in general. I am fairly new to this (2 months 3 X a week) and while not lifting objectively heavy weights, they are heavy for me, and take a lot out of me while I am doing them. I was working out every day previously, but have switched it up to do my cardio right after my weights - so usually 45 minutes weights then 30 minutes on the bike.
I know it isn't a health issue because I am fine when I have a couple days off and over the last few weeks have noticed a definite pattern to the fatigue as it relates to workouts. I do struggle getting enough protein in my diet (working on that) but generally manage about 15 - 20% protein.
I am trying to be in a calorie deficit, but haven't lost any weight the last month so I guess more like maintaining. Just wondering if this will level out as I get stronger or ...? I still want to lose quite a bit of weight so want to get back into a deficit but worried that will make it worse.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Are you eating low carb? How big is your calorie deficit?
  • 33gail33
    Options
    Are you eating low carb? How big is your calorie deficit?

Not purposely low but going by the default settings here I am usually a little low on carbs and protein and always over on fat. I haven't lost any weight the last couple months so my deficit would be zero I think. I am pretty much maintaining my weight at this point. I wasn't worrying about losing because I was trying to get into this new workout routine but didn't anticipate fatigue to be such a factor.

Maybe I have to get stricter on my meal planning and macro balance? What ratio would you suggest?
  • quiksylver296
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Default settings should be fine. Carbs provide energy, and the goal # you get for carbs is a minimum you should be hitting.

Have you ever had issues with your iron levels? Due to menstruation, women are usually lowish on iron. If you are only getting 15-20% protein, you likely aren't ingesting a lot of iron.

Can you do your cardio on the opposite days of your weight lifting? For example, weight lifting M/W/F, cardio Tu/Th/Sa, rest day on Sunday.

Totally spit-balling here.
  • MT1134
    MT1134 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Being noticably tired the day after weight training is expected. You spend a considerable amount of time breaking the body down while weight training. The nervous system feels that and as your body begins to repair itself, you're going to feel a bit fatigued.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I was going to say what @quiksylver296 said... Ask about iron and then suggest not doing cardio on the same day.

I find trying to do both just knocks me out, even though I feel fine while I'm doing it. Do you remember, did the fatigue start before or after you started doing both on the same days?
  • 33gail33
    Options
    Default settings should be fine. Carbs provide energy, and the goal # you get for carbs is a minimum you should be hitting.

Have you ever had issues with your iron levels? Due to menstruation, women are usually lowish on iron. If you are only getting 15-20% protein, you likely aren't ingesting a lot of iron.

Can you do your cardio on the opposite days of your weight lifting? For example, weight lifting M/W/F, cardio Tu/Th/Sa, rest day on Sunday.

I am 54 and post menopause so iron isn't an issue. My last blood work was fine for iron, ferritin and B12.

Maybe I will try to be more mindful of getting the carbs up on workout days (I want to get my fat down anyway) and go back to alternating days for cardio and see if that helps.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    33gail33 wrote: »

I am 54 and post menopause so iron isn't an issue. My last blood work was fine for iron, ferritin and B12.

Maybe I will try to be more mindful of getting the carbs up on workout days (I want to get my fat down anyway) and go back to alternating days for cardio and see if that helps.

Sounds good! Let us know!
  • 33gail33
    edited June 2019
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I was going to say what @quiksylver296 said... Ask about iron and then suggest not doing cardio on the same day.

I find trying to do both just knocks me out, even though I feel fine while I'm doing it. Do you remember, did the fatigue start before or after you started doing both on the same days?

I think it got worse after - but I also started increasing the weights at that point too so was more focused on that being the problem.

I am going to go back to alternating days. I was just being lazy and trying to get it all over with at once since I was already sweating. :smile: Also according to my fitbit I have found it easier to get my heart rate up if I do cardio after my weight lifting than just doing it alone. But while typing that I now realize that the higher heart rate might be contributing to the fatigue as well even though objectively I am doing the same workout ...