Tracking heart rate for weight loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    @steveko89 I think I agree that the TDEE method is probably preferable to people who primarily do strength training exercises. I don't know if there is greater accuracy in that approach for those who prefer easily estimated cardio exercises, such as running - especially if one considers a long run once weekly of 10 miles or so, which is likely to burn upwards of 1000 calories. For runs under an hour, TDEE might be workable.

I get what you're saying and I can't disagree there are some limitations to the methodology but if one's exercise and activity is fairly similar week-to-week having one day where there's a higher expenditure than others isn't particularly statistically significant in terms of changing the average, maybe 100-200 calories which could easily be compensated for by some iterative observations. I'd also consider it an anomaly for someone's weekly routine to be centered around a single 1000 calorie expenditure.

You might be right, but I can't find fault with either method. Both require a certain flexibility based on the observable weight trend results.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    @steveko89 I think I agree that the TDEE method is probably preferable to people who primarily do strength training exercises. I don't know if there is greater accuracy in that approach for those who prefer easily estimated cardio exercises, such as running - especially if one considers a long run once weekly of 10 miles or so, which is likely to burn upwards of 1000 calories. For runs under an hour, TDEE might be workable.

I get what you're saying and I can't disagree there are some limitations to the methodology but if one's exercise and activity is fairly similar week-to-week having one day where there's a higher expenditure than others isn't particularly statistically significant in terms of changing the average, maybe 100-200 calories which could easily be compensated for by some iterative observations. I'd also consider it an anomaly for someone's weekly routine to be centered around a single 1000 calorie expenditure.

You might be right, but I can't find fault with either method. Both require a certain flexibility based on the observable weight trend results.

Some of my anti-measuring-exercise zealotry comes from the leftover frustration that I missed that iterative analysis piece and just tried to put my trust in difference devices, assuming they were accurate, which led to a lot of wheel-spinning.

Pertaining to OP's question regarding calorie variation for weight lifting:
    Again, n=1, though specific to a regimen of weight lifting with little cardio (again, I can't guarantee that my calorie data is 100% precise but I'd be willing to put it up against just about anyone's) My weekly average TDEE calculated over the last 100 weeks varied with a standard deviation of 89.6 calories (3.63%). That's nearly two consecutive years of data for weeks in which I typically lifted 3-4 times per week but also includes those weeks where I took the whole week off for trips or holidays and a few experiments with 5-6 day splits. This also includes seasonal changes to activity (ex: playing golf and mowing the grass in the summer, etc.) with a weekly average body weight range of 171 to 181 lbs. This also encompasses periods and/or sessions lifting in both low and med/high rep schemes.

TL;DR - I find little change to observed calorie expenditure even when weightlifting frequency and intensity is varied.