Constipation help....

Options
Hi guys. I've always suffered with IBS for many years. I started calorie counting Jan 18 after BP was high. I've lost a total of 4 stone and 3lb. I swim/gym 6 times a week and also walking. I eat a lot of veg, lean meat, rice, pasta and fish and stick to my 1700 calorie deficit. I drink 2litres a water a day ( only water) dont do hot drinks. Now before all that I would drink pepsi/coca cola for fun of it. Never had a problem with going to toilet but since healthy eating I'm always constipated. I either have banana or weetabix for breakfast depending if am in a rush. Plus not big eater in morning. What else could I have to help me go to toilet? That wont affect my weight loss. I'm currently at 16st 12 from 21.1st and I'm 5ft 7. I just started drinking green tea from today it's awful 🙈 but I dont want to have to go docs who will give me something to take. Prefer to try home remedies please thanks all

Replies

• jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Sometimes adding a bit of soluable fibre to a morning drink will help.
    Personally I take 500 mg of Magnesium Citrate every other day (or maybe less often if I don't need it) and drink lots of water. It works by pulling more water into your intestines which keeps keep things moving. It's not a laxative in the traditional sense so it's not likely to cause dependencies.
    Also making sure you have enough healthy fats in your diet can assist.
  • bex220712
    bex220712 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Jelleigh which healthy fats do you suggest?
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I take Magnesium every day. You could also ditch the banana, they can be binding.

Maybe not the best option, but those Fiber One bars make me go #2 every time.
  • tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Coffee is an instant trigger for me. Agree with cutting the bananas down they are a binder. Prunes and raisins are healthy and help me out sometime too.
  • JesNotJen
    JesNotJen Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Try a bowl of prepared oatmeal, daily! It might take a day or two at first but it’s a winner for me.
  • EmBeatie
    EmBeatie Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have no idea but here's some objective medical advice and they should know. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/constipation/
  • Kita1818
    Kita1818 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I second the prunes and oatmeal ideas; work for me.
    But also, have you tried a probiotic? Just every other day or every 3 days, for 2 weeks could get you back on track - just my personal experience.
  • bex220712
    bex220712 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I don't drink coffee dont like it lol. I was thinking bananas may not help so will ditch them for a while. I will try the bars and also the probiotic. Hopefully all this will help thank you all very much
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    Mostly good advice above.

If your fat intake is below 0.35-0.45g per pound of goal weight, increase fats. Good sources: Nuts, seeds, avocados, olive oil, etc. A little more won't hurt.

Usually, absent a true medical issue, the factors are adequate fiber, hydration, fats. For some, probiotics, magnesium supplement or exercise will also help. You have many of those on solid ground, it sounds like.

Inadequate fats is kind of a common one among people trying to reduce calories.

Best wishes for improvement!

• brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    fiber 1 cerael works great for me, 1/2 cu , 14 gr of fiber. ditch the banana like the above person said.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Reading your list of what you typically eat, I'd agree with the comment above about increasing your fat intake.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    You didn’t really say. Do you eat fruits like apples, berries, melons? Fiber + hydration = win/win.
    Don’t know anything about ibs, so if it affects that, sorry.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,739 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    You've lost more than 55lbs in less than 6 months which is quite significant and fast.

Do you have sufficient caloric, fat, and fiber intakes to justify your continuing bathroom expectations?
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    My general rule of thumb is the four F's
    Fibre, fat, fluid and fitness. Increase these four and if you don't see results then see a doctor.