39 female UK , 315lbs, Autoimmune Disease

Options
Hi thought I would get straight to the point in my title. I aren't looking for lots of friends (although it would be nice) but it would be great to meet people with some of the same challenges.
So I am 39 and live in the UK. I am 315lbs at 5ft 2 which is horrific and I really hate how I look.

So my challenges......

Mobility - very restricted and mainly use a wheelchair. Can also spend a number of days bed bound. So exercise is through physio and certainly not what I used to do (used to be a dancer many years ago).

Health - I won't bore anyone with the details but my immune system attacks my body. I am on chemotherapy drugs, biologic drugs and steroids. I also have steroid infusions and blood transfusions.

Children - I also have 2 autistic children who take up more time that your average child.

So I aren't going to see them as problems, but challenges ha.

I need to do this as I am utterly miserable. My doctor has just started me on orlistat today to try and help me out as 2 months of counting calories has got 4lbs off me which just isn't enough with what I need to lose.

So if anyone can relate or just has other obstacles and would like some company then feel free to add me.

Andrea.

P. S no offence to people with different lives to me. I just think I might struggle to relate to a 17 year old who spends 2 hours a day in the gym and struggles with alcohol on a weekend. That's all.

Replies

• JMT2711
    JMT2711 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    andreadods wrote: »
    Hi thought I would get straight to the point in my title. I aren't looking for lots of friends (although it would be nice) but it would be great to meet people with some of the same challenges.
    So I am 39 and live in the UK. I am 315lbs at 5ft 2 which is horrific and I really hate how I look.

So my challenges......

Mobility - very restricted and mainly use a wheelchair. Can also spend a number of days bed bound. So exercise is through physio and certainly not what I used to do (used to be a dancer many years ago).

Health - I won't bore anyone with the details but my immune system attacks my body. I am on chemotherapy drugs, biologic drugs and steroids. I also have steroid infusions and blood transfusions.

Children - I also have 2 autistic children who take up more time that your average child.

So I aren't going to see them as problems, but challenges ha.

I need to do this as I am utterly miserable. My doctor has just started me on orlistat today to try and help me out as 2 months of counting calories has got 4lbs off me which just isn't enough with what I need to lose.

So if anyone can relate or just has other obstacles and would like some company then feel free to add me.

Andrea.

P. S no offence to people with different lives to me. I just think I might struggle to relate to a 17 year old who spends 2 hours a day in the gym and struggles with alcohol on a weekend. That's all.

I can relate!! I'm 39, from California and I have autoimmune like conditions. I have fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome and I'm in early menopause. I also have a 2.5 yr old daughter. So....it is hard to take care of myself. But, I have to. I am overweight and know if I could lose weight I will feel better because I have before. I had success with Food Addicts in Recovery Anonymous which is a 12 step food program. I lost 50 pounds in that program but then lost my willingness to comply with what the program wants us to do. Their food plan is restrictive but it works! Anyways....I do relate to you and your story. My highest weight was 270 and I am 5 ft 5. I am here if you want to chat!
  • forestfreek
    forestfreek Posts: 5,770 Member
    Options
    Hi there.....
    I cannot relate to your particular struggles but I just wanted to give you commendation for what you are shouldering. Part of my clientele for the past 24 years of my career has been with people with Autism and although they are a special and joyous population, I know from listening and talking to their parents that it also can be an intense and heartbreaking struggle. To be dealing with a chronic illness on top of that has got to be so incredibly difficult. Impaired mobility, medication side-effects, pain on a daily basis - you’re dealing with more than the average person, to say the least.
    I have no great pearls of wisdom for you but I just wanted to encourage you in your journey of taking care of YOU. Any support I can give you, even if it’s just a “way to go” or “you can do this” - please feel free to let me know or add me as a friend if you’d like.
    Good luck to you💜
    Jennie