10,000 steps

Options
resa13
resa13 Posts: 10 Member
I use a pedometer for 10,000 plus steps a day. I also use it when I am on my treadmill. At the end of the day do I use the calorie count burned for the entire day. Or just the calories burned on the treadmill.

Replies

• lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    If you go out for a walk "on purpose" or use your treadmill I would use those amounts, but the remainder of the steps you have taken throughout the day you would have done anyway so I would not be inclined to use those also. If you do input them all try not to eat your total exercise calories that day maybe . . . . .
  • Vicsecret
    Vicsecret Posts: 1
    Options
    I would say all steps count
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

I would have to say that only the extra steps that you have taken, outside of your regular activity, should count as MFP already takes into account "normal" daily activity when calculating your daily caloric allowance.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

I would have to say that only the extra steps that you have taken, outside of your regular activity, should count as MFP already takes into account "normal" daily activity when calculating your daily caloric allowance.

I agree, otherwise your just cheating yourself.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I use a pedometer for 10,000 plus steps a day. I also use it when I am on my treadmill. At the end of the day do I use the calorie count burned for the entire day. Or just the calories burned on the treadmill.

If I were you I would only keep a record of steps from the pedometer for your own curiosity. Regarding the calories used, only record exercise that you do outside your normal day-to-day living - the treadmill, record that as it is deliberate exercise.

All walking that you do to say, get to the shops, round the house, etc etc etc would already have been included in the calculations that MFP do. However, if you decide for your daily exercise you want to walk say, three miles then include that as it is not normal stuff.