Artificial Sweeteners on keto?

Options
Qbaimee
Qbaimee Posts: 157 Member
I am in the process of doing my grocery list (starting keto tomorrow) and i just read that artificial sweeteners are not recommended for keto bc it often maintains sugar cravings. I have to have my coffee in the morning. what am i suppose to sweeten it with? What do you use as sweetener?

Replies

• jerseygene
    jerseygene Posts: 129 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Have a look at this video from Ginger's Keto In The UK on youtube I hope it helps.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL56_1mYSsc&t=66s
  • amayk
    amayk Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I use steviadrops, but it's right that some people maintain sugarcravings by using sweeteners. Some sweeteners more then others to my experience.
  • tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I use ethritol and Stevia, doesn't stimulate sweet cravings with me. Fingers video is very good!
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Qbaimee wrote: »
    I am in the process of doing my grocery list (starting keto tomorrow) and i just read that artificial sweeteners are not recommended for keto bc it often maintains sugar cravings. I have to have my coffee in the morning. what am i suppose to sweeten it with? What do you use as sweetener?

Have you tried any of the zero calorie sweeteners on the market? Some people are triggered to crave more sweet foods when they eat/drink anything that tastes sweet, but there are plenty of others who find that's not the case. You might experiment a little to see how they affect you.

I think if just the taste of something sweet sets off cravings for you, anything that you use whether natural or artificial will have that same effect.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I like both stevia and monkfruit in my baking. Just not in my coffee. I am an unsweetened coffee typeof person. But I think it is very individual. My husband uses those pks of Splenda on things and I can’t stand the taste at all, and most diet drinks use sweetener that leave me with an aftertaste and will often trigger a migraine. Try a few and see what you prefer.