pre diabetic

i would love some advice on what to eat for this problem

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Eat lots of veggies.

Eat everything else in moderation.

If overweight, eat few enough calories to lose weight at a reasonable pace.

Get moderate exercise every day, or at least most days.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,955 Member
    I mostly eat non-starchy veggies and protein. Not sure if you're taking blood glucose readings, but that helps to see what spikes your blood sugar. I do okay with fruit, but bread shoots my numbers up for hours. YMMV.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,027 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    As a prediabetic, sugar is your eneny. Avoid it all cost!

Eat REAL food that you can eat raw or that you have to cook from scratch.. Avoid eating unprocessed/pkged foods and/or sodas/juices which have huge amounts of sugar in them.

Check the labels for sugar content. The RDA for sugar is about 37.5g/150 cals for men and 25g/100 cals for women. One can of soda generslly will have more than this amount of sugar in it. There is no RDA% on food labels because sugar processors lobbied hard against it.

Sugar contained in fruit generally is not a concern for non-diabetics but, in your case, I would suggest avoiding fruit as much as possible to keep your sugar intake down, at least until your risk for diabetes is no longer a concern.

I also suggest avoiding hi-GI foods made w/grains and flour, like bread and pasta, which are almost immediately converted into sugar when eaten.

Good luck!

For contrast OP, I got out of pre-diabetic range without doing any of the stuff mentioned here. Brought my weight down, cut down my sweet drinks to about half, still ate how I wanted, blood test revealed the all clear. Still all clear even with daily iced cappuccinos, fruits, occasional soda and sweet treats.

I'm glad for you that you were able to resolve your diabetes problem in your own way but, FWIW, nothing I suggested is contrary to what you did and what you do not address is that everyone's level of risk for diabetes varies and what worked for you may not work for the OP.

Also FWIW the advice I gave is pretty standard nutritional advice given to pre/post diabetic patients and I don't know how anyone can disagree w/the idea that sugar for a pre-diabetic patient should be avoided.

To do otherwise, simply makes no sense and to "woo" this suggestion just illustrates the how some people on MFP lack basic nutritional knowledge.

I saw a dietician who was well-versed in diabetes. At no point did he tell me to stop eating fruit or grains or processed foods. He taught me about macros and how to properly read labels, using a food scale, balancing my plate at every meal, and was the one who introduced me to MFP.

What you said IS contrary to what I did. I didn't stop eating fruit, grains or packaged foods. I didn't stop drinking sodas or juices and I didn't cut out sugar completely. I cooked from scratch because I a.)enjoyed it, b.)could control what was going in it and c.)found that often it was lower calories. I still had desserts. I still enjoyed soda. My dietician taught me moderation, and finding lower cal alternatives, and moderation. And honestly I would suggest anyone who's pre-diabetic take the advice of a registered dietician over someone telling them to eat raw and avoid fruit at all costs. Like you said, not everyone's risk is the same to give such blanket advice.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    edited June 2019

Eat REAL food that you can eat raw or that you have to cook from scratch.. Avoid eating unprocessed/pkged foods and/or sodas/juices which have huge amounts of sugar in them.

Check the labels for sugar content. The RDA for sugar is about 37.5g/150 cals for men and 25g/100 cals for women. One can of soda generslly will have more than this amount of sugar in it. There is no RDA% on food labels because sugar processors lobbied hard against it.

Sugar contained in fruit generally is not a concern for non-diabetics but, in your case, I would suggest avoiding fruit as much as possible to keep your sugar intake down, at least until your risk for diabetes is no longer a concern.

I also suggest avoiding hi-GI foods made w/grains and flour, like bread and pasta, which are almost immediately converted into sugar when eaten.

Good luck!

For contrast OP, I got out of pre-diabetic range without doing any of the stuff mentioned here. Brought my weight down, cut down my sweet drinks to about half, still ate how I wanted, blood test revealed the all clear. Still all clear even with daily iced cappuccinos, fruits, occasional soda and sweet treats.

I'm glad for you that you were able to resolve your diabetes problem in your own way but, FWIW, nothing I suggested is contrary to what you did and what you do not address is that everyone's level of risk for diabetes varies and what worked for you may not work for the OP.

Also FWIW the advice I gave is pretty standard nutritional advice given to pre/post diabetic patients and I don't know how anyone can disagree w/the idea that sugar for a pre-diabetic patient should be avoided.

To do otherwise, simply makes no sense and to "woo" this suggestion just illustrates the how some people on MFP lack basic nutritional knowledge.

Moderation is likely enough, rather than "avoidance." Most importantly, for most people moderation is a more realistic long term plan than avoidance.

Moreover, sugar is not the enemy, total carbs are what the body actually sees. It doesn't really care if it is pasta or potatoes or sugar, since the saliva in your mouth is already converting starches to sugar before it makes it to your stomach, much less your bloodstream.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited June 2019

Good luck!

I looked at the recommendations for pre-diabetic from the CDC, the ADA, and several endocrinology and diabetes organizations, and none of them mention avoiding sugar, processed foods, or high GI foods. Some do recommend avoiding sugary drinks and having smaller portions of desserts. All of them said the two top priorities were increasing exercise and losing weight.
  • thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    i know it sounds so basic but...just lose weight. cico. don't worry about sugar or carbs, you can do this with weight loss. best of luck!