Starter weight for dumbbells.

Options
fuchsmic
fuchsmic Posts: 1 Member
I am a 34 year old male. I'm not too strong. I can do about about 40 pushups and a mere 3 pull-ups. I don't have too much experience weight lifting. I want to start using dumbbells. Which weight would you reccomend starting off with? I don't have access to actual dumbbells to test, but using every day objects, I estimated I can go with at least 6 pounds. What do you think? I reckon I should go higher.

Replies

• jashaswimalyaacharjee
    Options
    Okay so start with lighter 5kg or 11lbs dumbbels then slowly progress your way up. Try to maintain a goal of being able to change weights every week, i.e. every week take a bigger dumbell. That should be ur goal. Well good luck🤗
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a gym, or are you planning on buying dumbbells for home?

You should definitely be able to lift more than 6 pounds, but you'd need different weights for different exercises - the amount of weight you'd be able to squat isn't going to be the same as the amount of weight you are able to use for shoulder press etc.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    40 push ups and 3 pull ups means you are in decent shape. What exactly are you trying to do with the dumbbells? I imagine for most strength exercises you are going to need significantly more than a 6 pound dumbbell. Your push up stats are similar to mine, and I use 25-30 pound dumbbells for most exercises I use them in.

Any store that sells dumbbells should allow you to test them. But you want to follow a plan, preferably one that is proven, and not just start playing around with dumbbells.