Gain muscle mass and lose fat

Options
I am 28 years old and weigh 208 pounds. I started lifting again 3.5 months ago after not stepping foot into a gym for 10 years. I have gained strength quickly. Bench has went from 185x3 when i first started to 225x10 now. I am getting strong but i have a layer of fluff on me. How do i continue to pack on this muscle but not gain fat? Is it calorie defecit is it managing macros? I need advice on what to do to gain strength but get shredded.

Replies

• denise0130
    denise0130 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello! I’m actually dealing w same.., I have my daily calories for the day.. then w exercising I’m to add in more calories, esp protein... but I feel I’m not losing due to the limited calories I’m taking in... not sure that is even possible but I’m into nutrition and am doing a lot of research as I want muscle gains, definition, fat loss.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I am 28 years old and weigh 208 pounds. I started lifting again 3.5 months ago after not stepping foot into a gym for 10 years. I have gained strength quickly. Bench has went from 185x3 when i first started to 225x10 now. I am getting strong but i have a layer of fluff on me. How do i continue to pack on this muscle but not gain fat? Is it calorie defecit is it managing macros? I need advice on what to do to gain strength but get shredded.

What is your goal weight wise? If you want to lose weight you need to eat in a calorie deficit. Continue lifting to at least maintain your muscle mass, possibly even gain a bit, and continue to get stronger.

If you are just focused on gaining muscle, you will most likely add a little fat as well. That's why people do bulk/cut cycles.

If you give your height and more specific goals, folks more knowledgeable about body building will be along soon with more specifics, I just wanted to get you started. Congrats on getting back at it and good luck!
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    wolomike80 wrote: »
    denise0130 wrote: »
    Hello! I’m actually dealing w same.., I have my daily calories for the day.. then w exercising I’m to add in more calories, esp protein... but I feel I’m not losing due to the limited calories I’m taking in... not sure that is even possible but I’m into nutrition and am doing a lot of research as I want muscle gains, definition, fat loss.

Its hard to get both muscle growth and be lean at same time. To grow you need to be at a calorie surplus. To be lean you have to burn all of your daily calorie intake or eat less then your calorie maintenance levels. Everyone has different numbers so its hard to give the best macros but a good nutritionist can get you close.

I suggest to do a clean healthy bulk. Try to keep your total body fat below 25% in your bulk. Then later do a cutting phase. Cut down between 6%-13% body fat (dependingon your goals).

I hear for women it’s bulk around 20% up to 25% or whatever weight you want then cut again. Is that correct?
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    wolomike80 wrote: »
    denise0130 wrote: »

Its hard to get both muscle growth and be lean at same time. To grow you need to be at a calorie surplus. To be lean you have to burn all of your daily calorie intake or eat less then your calorie maintenance levels. Everyone has different numbers so its hard to give the best macros but a good nutritionist can get you close.

I suggest to do a clean healthy bulk. Try to keep your total body fat below 25% in your bulk. Then later do a cutting phase. Cut down between 6%-13% body fat (dependingon your goals).

To grow you need to be at a calorie surplus.
    To get heavier - yes. To grow muscle - no, a calorie surplus isn't required, it might be optimal (especially for an advanced trainee) but isn't a requirement.

If the person has excess bodyfat, that fat can be use as the calorie surplus to build muscle when in a calorie deficit (in this case deficit being defined as current intake vs current burn). This gets more difficult as the person gets to lower bodyfat levels. Hence the common advice not to bulk unless one is less than 15% BF for a male.
  • how_long_will_it_last
    how_long_will_it_last Posts: 3 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I am currently doing both. On the way to loose 10kg but also working on gaining muscle.

I operate at 1500kal per day and have an intake of around 200g of protein per day. I found that getting enough fibre has helped the wieght start to move a bit easier. I mix fibre powder with my protein powder so that I have a drink that gives me 40g protein and 16g fibre. 2 of these per day then a normal 40g protein shake. Rest of my food is chicken, boiled eggs, fish, nuts, yogurt, vegetables, fruit etc.

Lost 3.4kg in less than a month (I think I started my program on the 15th) and I am definitely growing muscle.

That’s how I’m doing it anyway and it seems to be working. I do however have a PT that I train with twice a week and then have been doing dumbbell work at home.

I also do not record any exercise so that I do not get an increase in calories.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    It can be done, if a 64 year olld man can do it, a 28 year young man can most definitely do it as this excerpt from my DXA Scan Illustrates:

kizbgcjdgfha.jpeg

Again, I ate at maintenance and did the exercises described in my previous post, practiced intermittent fasting with average daily protein of 108 grams (0.63 per average lbs. of BW.)

My “science experiment” continues and, God willing, I’ll give my next report in 3 months.