What's a good Pre Workout snack that can be eaten on the commute?

My current schedule is to drive straight to the gym right after work. Which means 45 minute drive, an hour for a HIIT or Zumba class Or 30 min cardio/30 minutes machines and another 30 min to an hour to cook dinner.

What's a good Pre workout snack that can be eaten while driving?

Currently I peel a cutie orange before I get in my car and have it sitting on the dashboard to munch on the way home. Other options I've had were cut up apples or raisins and sometimes grapes. That's good for a sugar boost but I'm thinking I may need more protein to get me through HIIT class or Zumba. I'm pretty shaky by the end of class.

What do you suggest? (Be kind - still a bit of a newbie)

I have a Sargento cheese stick and a cutie for the drive home tonight.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    I've been a big fan of clif bars over the years. They're 250 cal with 9 grams of protein and easy (at least for me) to digest. But I'd definitely suggest experimenting with eating it before you leave work just to make sure you don't have any digestive issues during intense workouts. Another option (probably not practical though) would be to take your calories in in liquid form I use Gu Roctane (250 cal in a 750ml serving) to fuel on the bike during traithlons. The reason I say it may not be practical is mostly a cost issue, even buying the bulk containers it's almost $3 a serving, a price I'm willing to pay for something I know I can use on the bike without any digestive issues.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Cuties are pretty small, right? I would guess those are maybe 50 calories, which isn't a lot of fuel for an hour long workout. It may not be that you need more protein; it may simply be that you need more fuel. If you like fruit, try a larger piece of fruit, or dried fruit, or maybe a little peanut butter on your fruit. I'm a fan of the Trader Joe's "Nothing but Nuts" date cacao patties or mini Larabars for a small snack before a run. These range from 80-110 calories and will generally get me through an hour of running.

I would caution against having too much protein before a workout because for some people, eating a lot of protein before a workout can cause stomach upset. Unfortunately the only way to know what works for your body is trial and error.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,668 Member
    Banana, juice, some dates or figs, cheese, half pbj sandwich, half a bagel.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    gummy bears, skittles, twizzlers, M&Ms, rice crispy treats...
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    I usually eat Greek yogurt or cottage cheese and berries as a snack before my late afternoon workout. Not really easy to eat in the car, but can you eat it before leaving work? That's what I do. Other options are protein bars or beef jerky.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    I'm thinking I may need more protein to get me through HIIT class or Zumba. .

Highly unlikely it's anything to do with protein.
    Have a cereal bar or banana would be my suggestion.

I would also encourage you to eat before you drive - not while driving.
  • carlaringuette
    carlaringuette Posts: 158 Member
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

Sounds yummy but I don't think that's going to get the weight off. Lol

• carlaringuette
    sijomial wrote: »
    I'm thinking I may need more protein to get me through HIIT class or Zumba. .

Highly unlikely it's anything to do with protein.
    Have a cereal bar or banana would be my suggestion.

I would also encourage you to eat before you drive - not while driving.

Only eat when we're stopped at a light or crawling - not on the interstate.
  • carlaringuette
    The reason I say protein is because when I used to have the shaky problem when I was on an allergy rotation diet the Dr. and the nutritionist told I probably wasn't getting enough protein and told me to add nuts (the ones I wasn't allergic to) to my oatmeal and have cheese for a snack. That was years ago so I'm sure things have come full circle and that may not be the rule of thumb now. So Protein or no protein?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member
    Protein is great for muscle recovery but isn't great for energy prior to a workout. This the recommendations for something more carb oriented like bananas etc.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    The reason I say protein is because when I used to have the shaky problem when I was on an allergy rotation diet the Dr. and the nutritionist told I probably wasn't getting enough protein and told me to add nuts (the ones I wasn't allergic to) to my oatmeal and have cheese for a snack. That was years ago so I'm sure things have come full circle and that may not be the rule of thumb now. So Protein or no protein?

If you have issue with insufficient protein then it's your entire diet you need to review rather than timing of a very small dosage.

BTW - nuts and cheese are two very inefficient ways in terms of calories to bump up your daily allowance as in reality they are fat sources with a little protein.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I usually do fruit: banana, apple slices or apple sauce. Protein bars can give me a tummy ache.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

Sounds yummy but I don't think that's going to get the weight off. Lol

Why not? 100 calories of gummy bears is the same as 100 calories from a banana.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Pretty much anything you want within your calories goals.
  • Spadesheart
    Spadesheart Posts: 463 Member
    I mean, if you have access to protein powder, you could just have a shake. Maximum protein density, and a lot of good research as a pre workout suppliment.

You can also make protein powder into bars easily. 8 scoops of protein, 1 cup of some sort of "milk" , 1 cup of oats. Heat up gently until combined then pat into a baking dish, and cool to set. Cut and boom, protein bars. Mix in some dark chocolate, or dried fruit if you want to add some carbs, or nuts if you want some extra fat.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,913 Member
    banana.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    A good slice of bread or a ciabatta roll, the carbs will fuel your workout. Cheaper than a protein bar.
  • carlaringuette
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    banana.

Sorry - allergic - no can do.

• lizardcave
    lizardcave Posts: 42 Member
    I do a banana and homemade almond butter an hour before.