Weight management, prednisone, and starting over again

Options
Is it possible?

History:

Started at 208 lbs. Was on some version of WW forever, lost 60 lbs. Lost 10 logging here and made lowest adult weight ever (137). Binged and exercise purged to try to get lower, got horrible therapeutic advice which led me to quitting everything and going up to 167. I quit therapy, started logging here again and got down to 155.

I have autoimmune issues and between fatigue and just being depressed I'm back at 168 in a month. Now my rheumatologist wants to start me on prednisone tapering for month. I expressed my concerns about my weight and told him my history. He said I should gain 3 to 5 lbs at most, which should fall off after the meds are over. He acknowledged that my concerns, given everything I've been through, are valid.

I know my health is foremost, but I'm tired of starting over and I'm tired of the depression. I'm tired of therapy. I'm just tired and ready to quit. I don't see how I can get my health together moving back into obesity and being depressed over this. In some ways it was easier to deal with the exercise purging. At least I was happy with reaching and maintaining that goal. Now I'm ridiculed for regaining and according to outsiders I'm sick because I regained, not the other way around.

Just fed up here, thanks for reading this far.

Replies

• flomck25
    flomck25 Posts: 3 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I'm on prednisone too - was a nightmare to start with esp since it was such a high dose and was eating everything in sight .
    I love my food too much still so decided to come back on here as tracking seeks to help and gives me a good idea what I've ate etc
    You can do it ! Just take each day as it comes - maybe a walk or May be the local sports centre . Hope you feel better soon
  • mariececilia10
    mariececilia10 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Like Ann said, you’ve been an engaged and helpful person on the forums. I don’t post much, but I’ve seen many of your posts while I’m browsing these message boards and your sharing your experiences and struggles has helped me in many ways. Please don’t give up on your health! Even if you gain some water weight from the new medication, if you’ve at least maintained your weight apart from that, you will be in a much better place physically when your mental health improves than if you give up entirely and regain loads of actual fat. Imagine how you’d feel in both scenarios. You are strong and you will be even stronger on the other side of this! Best of luck.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Prednisone is not fun. I was on it once (for a weird eye thing that made me nearly blind for several weeks, if anyone wants to hear all the gory details). I hated how it made me feel, and I’d probably have hated it more if I’d cared at all about my weight at the time.

Whatever weight you gain on the prednisone is probably water weight, as you know. I know it’s frustrating to see the scale go up even though you know why, but try to keep in mind that there’s a good reason for it. It’s expected, it’s normal, and it’ll come right off as your body heals and the prednisone gets out of your system.

As for those people who ridicule you...kitten ‘em. They’re kittens.

Take care of yourself, and please keep us posted on how you’re doing.
  • Kittyy1994
    Kittyy1994 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I was on tapering prednisone for a blood disorder for a few months. No weight gain at all- quite the opposite actually as I was warned about weight gain and was mindful of what I ate.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I've never been on prednisone but have known folks who have been. Your health is more important right now. Since you have lost weight before you know exactly what you need to do to stay where you are. Right now I would just shoot for maintenance and log every day to stay on track. If you gain a few pounds of water it will come back off once you finish the course of medication. Please don't give up. You obviously have had a huge impact on others here in the forums and we are all rooting for you!
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I am on long-term prednisone for a transplant. I have gained 15 pounds in the last seven months. A month of prednisone shouldn't be too bad - you'll gain some weight but you'll be able to lose it.