MATADOR

Options
Has anyone else tried the MATADOR protocol? Minimizing adaptive thermogenesis and deactivating obesity rebound. It was a small study, but the data were compelling. Two weeks of calorie restriction, then two weeks of maintenance. I'm six weeks in so far and am seeing some interesting data. I am pretty good with my tracking, but sm still losing much faster than predicted in my model.

I am not keto, vegetarian, or any other restrictive protocol. But I do try to ensure I get at keast 21 g of fiber daily.

https://www.nature.com/articles/ijo2017206

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,853 Member
    Options
    No. But in to say this: It's wonderful that you're losing faster than predicted. I did the same - dangerously so, until I course-corrected - just eating at a calorie deficit with my regular foods. The so-called "calorie calculators" just provide statistical estimates of calorie requirements: They're close for most, further off for a few.

It's possible that the protocol is yielding your better than expected results . . . but it's also possible that you're one of the people whose calorie expenditure is more than your demographics would predict. Hard to know for sure, with n=1 experiments.

Either way, though, being able to eat more, while still losing at a sensible rate, is a nice thing. Wishing you much success as you go along, and looking forward to hearing a longer term "case report" on your experience with this interesting protocol as time moves on. (I can think of psychological reasons that it might be a good approach for some people, even beyond any 'metabolic' ones.)

Best wishes!
  • HelenWater
    HelenWater Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I started the two week at 67% of maintenance alternating with two weeks of maintenance energy intake at the beginning of this week. The science looks good, and it seems easier than the 5:2 etc type of diets.