Panniculectomy what are your thoughts?

Options
Has anyone ever had this procedure done?

Replies

• texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I had to look it up--so I haven't had it done. I have read of several on this site who have had the procedure. I would maybe ask this in the Maintenance section as those folks are "done" losing weight.
  • hannekalew
    hannekalew Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Well my mom has one last year and she regrets... She did it because her abdominal tissue teared and she has a lot of pain and her tummy was very swollen and she was unable to eat... Obviously she has the surgery due to a medical injury not for reducing her tummy, the thing is that she says now every time she eats she has pain again and the surgery was something big, she had to be in her bed for a lot of days and even going to the bathroom was very discomforting for her. When she sneezes or carry something she feels a little itchy pain.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Thinking back to your previous thread on loose skin... how much weight did you lose, how long did it take, and how long has it been since reaching maintenance? I believe the general recommendation is to maintain for at least a year and let the skin bounce back as much as it will on its own (which can actually take up to 2 years).
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    I have not, but will likely need to once I lose the weight. When I got to goal weight (after losing 106lbs) 8 years ago, I definitely had my apron still, but sadly, I didn't maintain and ended up gaining back all of the weight and then some. I'm now older and have been obese longer, so I don't anticipate that my apron will disappear this time either.

I know someone personally who had this done. She will tell you that the recovery was rough but totally worth it. It's expensive, so once I hit goal, I'm hoping to be able to save up the cost, or at least a large portion of the cost, during the year that I'll be in maintenance prior to even considering the surgery. I'll be wanting to do a breast lift at the same time, because gravity and time have not been kind to my girls LOL
  • spilledmilk
    spilledmilk Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    My mom had it done, as well as a breast lift at the same time. She says it was worth it, but recovery was long and difficult.
  • ImaWaterBender
    ImaWaterBender Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I had panniculectomy surgery in July 2019. It was a rough recovery but well worth it. Ladies can pm me for a photo of before and after. They removed a 23 lb apron.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I am in terrible fear of needing one when I'm done losing the 100 lbs I need to lose.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    LAT1963 wrote: »
    I am in terrible fear of needing one when I'm done losing the 100 lbs I need to lose.

I lost 80 pounds and didn't need one.

But, better to lose the weight and need one, than to carry that extra 100 pounds around.