Calories in a typical pizza from an Italian restuarant

Options
Does anyone know how many calories are generally in a margharita pizza from an Italian restaurant. You know the ones that are thin crust for one person. I think they're usually around 10 inches? Not totally sure.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm going for dinner tonight and I want to pre log.

Thanks

Replies

• cdjs77
    cdjs77 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I can't say for the individual restaurant, as they will all use different amounts of ingredients, but the 10 in. frozen margherita thin crust pizzas I sometimes buy at the supermarket are usually around 800-1000 calories for the whole pizza.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Have you checked MFP to see if the restaurant is in there (if it's a chain, obviously). Or their website?

Failing that, I'd just take an average from the ones on MFP.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Hand tossed crust, plain, slice of a 16" pizza averages 250-300 calories per slice.
  • luckyjuls
    luckyjuls Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I usually go by the nutritionals at a chain, like Carrabas. And then add 20% just in case.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I can't say for the restaurant but my fresh, thin crust pizzas from the supermarket are generally around 800 - 900 calories for a 10" margherita.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I work at Carrabba's and our margherita pizzas are 10". I'd use that. It's prepared with olive oil, pizza dough, black pepper, Romano cheese, fresh milk mozz, basil, tomato, salt. Pretty basic.
  • lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Be careful about the idea that thin base = less calories.

Pizza Express (UK) Romana pizzas (thin) have more calories than the classic ones. They are twice as big!
    Their pizzas range from 500 (special pizza with salad in the middle) to 1200 for a meat-based Calzone. My favourites are usually around 700-900 calories.

American-style pizzas have ridiculous amounts of calories because they have so much base. A Margarita American Style can easily be 900kcal. Dr Oetker thick crust Meat-based pizza is like 1200~
  • mdivamuffin
    mdivamuffin Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I went for about 800 calories just to be safe. A salad for starter and no dessert. Even with a couple of drink I was only 100 over, not too bad!
  • rewsf
    rewsf Posts: 6
    Options
    pre-logging is a great idea. i'm going to start doing that too.
  • rewsf
    rewsf Posts: 6
    Options
    I just can't get it in my head that a really thin slice of pizza has so many calories - how do they fit so many
    calories in there? one slice is maybe an ounce of cheese, some sauce and the dough.