Frozen shredded hashbrowns in the bag...... Do you eat?

Options
Qbaimee
Qbaimee Posts: 157 Member
I love them. Mixed with my runny fried egg however,
How do you keep these from freezing into one giant ball?? lol
I stopped buying them b/c I cant break up the frozen balls to cook them.

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    ^^this is pretty much what I do, but the kind I purchase doesn’t seem to be frozen in a solid lump, just a few clumps. Works for me.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    let the beatings commence ..i do that with frozen hashbrowns and the diced peppers i use for breakfast scrambles..rather cathartic.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,605 Member
    Options
    When I buy frozen foods that are all stuck together in the bag I tend to beat the bag against a cutting board, but it occurs to me that just dropping the sealed bag from a height onto the tile floor in the kitchen might be more effective.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Mine are never so bad that I can't break them up with my hands in the bag or with the heavy end of a butter knife

What I have to share is the recent way I discovered to prepare frozen hash browns without added oil... throw them in the waffle iron! It can take about 20 minutes depending on how crispy you like them (I like mine really crispy), but I just get them started and go about my business. For a family meal, I can get about 4 servings in at a time and I use a frying pan to help press the lid down firmly.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Try to keep them out of the freezer as little time as possible- sitting on the counter causes the refreeze. Store them in the middle of your freezer- the door is less cold and will cause some thaw-refreeze. Re-bag them in a freezer safe bag. Even a little bit of air getting in is enough to form ice crystals that ball it all up.

I eat LOADS of frozen food. The most critical thing is keeping the bag sealed, even if it means double bagging.

You can also bulk cook in a casserole dish then transfer to tupperware. When you want to make breakfast, re-cook on the stovetop with your egg.
  • JustaGirlNamedJenn
    JustaGirlNamedJenn Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yep I eat them constantly. And like everyone else, just beat the bag with something lol. They come to me in one frozen block, but usually once I break them up, they seem to be ok after that.
  • AZCattitude
    AZCattitude Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    We eat them frequently. I break off the amount I want to cook and defrost in the microwave 1 to 2 minutes. Then I break up the bigger pieces and defrost a bit more if needed - just enough so they layer nicely in the skillet. That works for me without pulverizing them. I've been thinking about trying to air fry some in my Ninja Foodi on the crisper tray I just purchased.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    My grocery store sells a brand called Simply Potatoes in the refrigerated section - shreds and cubes, with onions and peppers is also an option. Once I found those I’ve not purchased frozen Ore Ida again.

Also the Simply Potatoes with onions and peppers is a great base for quick potato soup....
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,605 Member
    Options
    We eat them frequently. I break off the amount I want to cook and defrost in the microwave 1 to 2 minutes. Then I break up the bigger pieces and defrost a bit more if needed - just enough so they layer nicely in the skillet. That works for me without pulverizing them. I've been thinking about trying to air fry some in my Ninja Foodi on the crisper tray I just purchased.

I make rosti in the air fryer with the pan attachment (which has slots on the bottom, mine is a Phillips) with raw grated fresh potato. I do spray with olive oil. Though to be honest, it is just as easy to use a good non stick pan on the stovetop.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I just repeatedly beat the bag of hash browns on the counter until they break up...
  • HereToLose50
    HereToLose50 Posts: 154 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    They are really good with bell peppers or hot peppers and onions added in also. Add them in any omelette really as long as the potatoes get cooked before adding.

They shouldn't be frozen the way you describe. That sounds like they were above freezing temps at some point before you got them and possibly not safe to eat.
  • Godswordministries
    Godswordministries Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    when you get them home from the grocery store spread them out on a flat cookie sheet and flash freeze then dump back into the bag or a zip lock. Works great.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    I mix them with bacon, green onions and parmesan cheese and then throw them on the waffle maker.