Negative comments

Options
I hate it when people make negative comments for no reason! Like my aunt was telling my mom and dad I have gained weight since the last time she saw me.. I haven’t and I’m in much better shape then any or her kids .. so she should not talk ..

Replies

• shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    Yup. My husband has a friend whose wife has no filter.

Example 1 - she saw H's sister at an event after not seeing her for a few years and said "looks like you gained some weight, but you carry it well"

Example 2 - she was telling me about how hard it is just to walk because she is carrying extra weight, looked me up and down and said "but I guess you are use to it"

Yeah, those are just 2 examples of many. I avoid this woman at all costs.

Sorry I laughed, especially at the second one.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Some people only feel better when they put others down. Older generations in some cultures it's common to comment on younger peoples' bodies. It doesn't excuse them, but a well placed, "Please don't comment on my body," with an optional, "That's very rude," usually does the trick.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I do the old Blank Stare and maybe a "well that was rude" and then walk away.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    shaf238 wrote: »

Example 1 - she saw H's sister at an event after not seeing her for a few years and said "looks like you gained some weight, but you carry it well"

Example 2 - she was telling me about how hard it is just to walk because she is carrying extra weight, looked me up and down and said "but I guess you are use to it"

Oh, it's definitely funny in hindsight. Especially while we sat next to each other and she put away the nachos and the ice cream and I ate nothing because I was fasting. I've lost 50+lbs, let's just say, she hasn't :)
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    shaf238 wrote: »

How to respond that one: “Yes, I carry all my extra weight right here, on my middle finger. See?”

I love this!!!

• oharras
    oharras Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Jadu786 wrote: »
    I hate it when people make negative comments for no reason! Like my aunt was telling my mom and dad I have gained weight since the last time she saw me.. I haven’t and I’m in much better shape then any or her kids .. so she should not talk ..

And what was your response to your mom and dad and how did you discuss your aunt's comment??? Some people are rude and mouthy, no doubt she has always been this way and don't let yourself get drawn in or offended. Ignore it, this is your life and journey, be the bigger person and brush it off.
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    OP, keep your chin up. It sucks to be on the receiving end of rudeness and (with some exceptions) this thread is a safe place to vent your hurt. The mean comments people hurl your way say everything about them and nothing about you.
  • oharras
    oharras Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My mother taught if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing, although sometimes that is easier said than done--what I did learn the best was to think before I speak. Weight loss is also about your physical and emotional health, so while shedding those pounds, work to toughen your emotions and become a stronger and bigger person than those who don't think before they speak.