When do you drink protein shake after workout?

Do you wait like 30 minutes after your workout to drink it or do you drink it the minute you are finished with your workout? What’s the correct way?! x

Replies

• Graymanstole
    Graymanstole Posts: 257 Member
    No idea what the correct way is, but I usually wait 30-45 minutes post workout to have mine.
  • kcn2bluesky
    kcn2bluesky Posts: 187 Member
    edited June 2019
    I would recommend not over-thinking it :smile: Do what works best for you!
    I do my workout first thing in the morning ~5am. I have a protein shake while I'm getting ready for work because it helps me hit my protein goals for the day and because I'm not usually hungry for actual food that early in the morning. I do typically eat 3 meals plus 2 snacks (one of which is my shake). I don't like to feel overly full at any point during the day, so for me, this all kind of works. What works for you could be completely different!
  • WorkerDrone83
    WorkerDrone83 Posts: 3,195 Member
    I can't vouch for the validity of the statement, but I've been told by an Olympic strength training coach/nutritionist that was hired by the Army, that you should get at least 8 grams of protein within 20 mins of your workout, or you might as well not have worked out at all.

Again, I don't know if it's 'woo' or not, but I didn't see any harm in it. Plus, it ended up getting us free chocolate milk at the gym so that was a definite plus. haha
  • SheepDog26
    SheepDog26 Posts: 9 Member
    I usually have mine within an hour of working out. It might come down to personal preference. I love my shakes so I always look at it as a treat.
  • floofyschmoofer
    floofyschmoofer Posts: 209 Member
    I usually drink mine on the way home from the gym which averages out to about 10-15 minutes after my workout.
  • Fighterforever473
    Fighterforever473 Posts: 9 Member
    Thanks guys!!! x
  • shaykinhand
    shaykinhand Posts: 80 Member
    I've always heard it's best to drink it within 30 minutes after your workout to get the full effects of it (what ever that full effect may be ? lol) So if I drink protein or eat, it's right after my workout.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I wouldn't concern yourself with meal timing unless you are an elite athlete or bodybuilder. Even so it is more exaggerated than it needs to be. I only drink protein shakes if I need extra protein that day and it is usually much later than my workout. I get regular protein throughout the day and have a high protein lunch after my workouts so I don't worry about meal timing.

Do what works for you.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member
    Protein timing is largely irrelevant as long as you are getting enough every day. Your own preference, schedule and performance should be the deciding factors.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member
    edited June 2019
    I've always heard it's best to drink it within 30 minutes after your workout to get the full effects of it (what ever that full effect may be ? lol) So if I drink protein or eat, it's right after my workout.

Not true. Muscle Protein Synthesis happens for up to 72 hours after exercise. The "anabolic window" is not so small as once believed. If getting in you protein right after workout is what you prefer, great. But there is not harm if you didn't take it in for a couple of hours. As sardelsa said, if you are in the <1% of elite athletes or body builders it may make the slight difference for competing. But it is going to be minor.
  • Roza42
    Roza42 Posts: 247 Member
    I drink mine while working out, lol. Only way I can finish without being ravenous.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,816 Member
    Never. I will usually have a high protein meal with food 30 minutes to an hour after my workout, but meal timing is largely irrelevant. I never drink my protein.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    There is no single "correct way". If your goal is only weight loss and general fitness, don't worry about it.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    I don't.

It won't do you any harm to have some protein within a certain time of exercising but it's going to make a completely trivial impact to "results".
    Concentrate on hitting a sensible daily protein goal instead.

If you feel the need to aspire to optimal (most people don't need to at all) then a mixed macro meal in the two hours before and after heavy exercise would cover all bases. Again - it's not necessary for all but those with either elite aspirations or trying to compensate for a sub-optimal overall diet.

Get the basics right first - the quality of your training program and your overall diet.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    I usually eat withing a hour or so after lifting but my sessions are about 150 minutes and I only have a protein shake and a banana before lifting to break my fast in the morning so I'm pretty hungry from those two things.

I usually suggest to people who's goal is general fitness to just eat a reasonably balanced meal when they are hungry. If they are a athlete, we may peek at the macros and EAAs after making sure calories are there. Calories first on anybody regardless.
  • alondrakar
    alondrakar Posts: 67 Member
    I don't drink them at all.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    After my workouts
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Protein timing is not important--that is old school thinking. Overall protein intake throughout the day is. I drink mine before my workout