Keto - Losing muscle and fat?

Roy1C
Roy1C Posts: 75 Member
I’ve been following a Keto/low card diet for 2 months and doing cardio ands strength training 3-4 days a week. I’m very happy with the weight loss.

When strength training I have had a noticeable loss of strength and have had to drop down 10 - 20 lbs per machine. I feel great and look much healthier now. Anybody else experience this? Thoughts / suggestions?

Replies

• Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Roy1C wrote: »
    I’ve been following a Keto/low card diet for 2 months and doing cardio ands strength training 3-4 days a week. I’m very happy with the weight loss.

When strength training I have had a noticeable loss of strength and have had to drop down 10 - 20 lbs per machine. I feel great and look much healthier now. Anybody else experience this? Thoughts / suggestions?

Make sure you're getting enough protein in your diet. It's essential to minimize muscle loss.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited June 2019
    It's fairly common experience that weight training on keto generally sucks. Maybe @psulemon will weigh in as he tried it and didn't like it. The research shows not much difference in results but most of the anecdotal testimonies that I've seen it that is sucks while doing it.

You were asked above and have yet to answer, how much have you lost in 6 weeks. That can be a factor too. I tend to eat low carb and when I am cutting, it affects my training and my weights lifted drops unless I keep my calorie deficit low. Like 500 cals per day or less.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    How steep is your deficit? How many calories are you eating?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,388 MFP Moderator
    It is not uncommon to see significant losses in when moving to keto. Often it will take a few weeks to build back up your strength as you become more fat adapted. One thing you can try to do is follow a TKD style diet where you time your carbs (especially some fast acting carbs like gummy bears) around your workouts. Additionally, you can try to imcorporate MCT oils 30-45 minutes prior to a workout.

Adequate protein and sodium are also key.
  • linza7116
    linza7116 Posts: 18 Member
    I have noticed strength has little to do on a daily basis with muscle loss. I found it was more due to a lack of something or just not enough sleep. When working out or dieting I always need more sleep and or glucose.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    You are likely not eating enough total calories and not enough carbs in particular.