Changing calorie limit

Options
mwoltermann
mwoltermann Posts: 15 Member
edited June 2019 in Food and Nutrition
As you get closer to your goal, do you find you need to reduce your calorie intake?

I am currently losing .5-1lb/week eating ~1500 calories/day. This has been the only diet I've been able to stick to for longer than 3 days! I find eating less than 1500 is such a struggle. I'm almost at the 10 lb mark (my goal is to lose 20 lbs).

Just curious how many people had to adjust as they got to their ideal weight? I am concerned if I have to eat less I'll just end up doing the ole "oh screw this" and be back to where I started.

Replies

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I believe it's supposed to be automatic on the site. If it doesn't update, do it every 5-10 lbs by going into goals and save. You'll notice about 10 cals removed every few lbs you lose.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    the app will automatically reduce calories along the way when you enter your updated weight. the "smaller" you are the fewer calories it takes to maintain your body (functioning - basic things like breathing).

it's recommended to go down to 0.5lb/week for your last 10-15 because of what you said. trying to keep a rate of 1 or more because too hard and you are just hungrrrryyy.

remember you are also meant to eat back exercise calories for intentional calories. and select the accurate activity level for day to day stuff. Few people are actually sedentary even if they work at a desk.

but yes some users have even gone down to a rate of loss of 0.25lb/week (or 1lb/MONTH) because otherwise they were too hungry. progress is still progress.
  • chrishamilton894
    chrishamilton894 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I reached my goal weight at 2000cal a day. When I set a new goal weight, the app adjusted my calorie limit by another 200cal to 1800. The lighter you are the harder it is so you have to decrease cal a little bit more to lose the weight.
  • sherryzm24
    sherryzm24 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You cannot keep losing weight at the same caloric levels. Your caloric requirements will change when your weight keeps dropping or increasing. That's how the body works.

Ex: A guy who lost 2 lbs in 2 weeks by having 1500 kcal won't be able to lose weight after week 2 because after losing 2 lbs, the body's metabolism shifted and requires the cut down calories in order to lose weight after 2 weeks. Which means will need to cut calories this time to 1300 calories in order to lose more weight.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Uh, I know that is the way it is supposed to work. Bodies adapt. I'm not seeing it. My calories in and exercise (or, I should say lack of exercise) are constant. Weight loss is linear. If anything, increasing a bit although I attribute that to increased accuracy in calorie counting. Down 33 pounds in 270 days.