What do you snack on?

Options

Replies

• bob_day
    bob_day Posts: 87
    Options
    Snacks? I don't eat any snacks. I gave them up long ago. Three meals a day is all you need.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    The greek yogurt is way too expensive at probably about $10 a week since I eat about one container a day.
    Greek yogurt doesn't have to be expensive. Stop buying the individual cups and get the big tubs instead.

Make Greek yogurt -- which is just drained regular yogurt -- from cheap grocery store brand yogurt. Just drain it. $2.39 of plain store brand yogurt results in the same amount as $3.79 of Fage. Just look for plain yogurt that doesn't have thickeners or stabilizers in it. I drain some every week.

Here's a pic of it. Put the yogurt in a screen sieve for a few hours. You can use the whey in smoothies, feed it to the dog, or throw it away. I use it to make bread.

4fc7a71c-9ea1-45a1-be20-646bbbec419f_zps3ee35781.jpg
  • syedsaad
    syedsaad Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    fruits and nuts .... once in a month something fried in the evening if i m really craving
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Bananas,apples, ants on a log, almonds, peanuts,baby carrots, anything with peanut butter on it
  • mish24canada
    mish24canada Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I like to snack on turkey pepperettes, cucumber and green peppers dipped in heluva good dip. apple with peanut butter, air popped popcorn with kernels popcorn seasoning, fiber one bar with 6 g of proten peanut butter flavour
  • ladydy911
    ladydy911 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    As i type this i am sitting here snacking on Tostios and cheese dip. On a scale from 1 - 10 i don't know how "clean" this is but i figured it can't be that bad.

Anyway my question is, what do yall snack on throughout the day? If you are on a budget, how much of it goes to snacks when you grocery shop?

I bring grapes, a banana and a Fiber One 90 calorie bar.

I HATED greek yogurt the first time I tried it. Then I tried the flavored greek yogurts. Those, I LOVE. Espically the chobani flips. I also add a tbsp of PB2 in them. Other than that I snack on pretzel bits, hummus and pretzel thins, or fresh fruit and cottage cheese.
  • ttknowles01
    ttknowles01 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I snack on almonds with raisins, fruit, some protein peanut butter cookies (homemade), every now and then Tostitos with hummus, dark chocolate chips and natural peanut butter (nom nom nom)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    My favorite snack is peanuts. Love them!
  • lisamash
    Options
    Cottage cheese with chives over fresh tomato slices is my favorite right now!
    Almonds, veggie sticks with hummus, a slice of deli meat thinly spread with low fat veggie cream cheese rolled up, apples with peanut butter.
    Thanks for all the new ideas!
  • letsridebikes
    Options
    At work, I always kept a couple Greek yogurts and a bag of string cheese in the fridge, plus almonds (wasabi & soy sauce, OYG), peanut butter, apples or oranges, and a few luna bars in my desk. That combination got me through slow afternoons as well as mornings when I had to run out the door before breakfast :)
  • papillon71
    papillon71 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Low Fat Yoghurt, Fresh Fruit (Apples, Red Grapes, Banana), Low Fat Special K Cereal Bars, Carrot & Celery Sticks with Low Fat Hummus, Rice Cakes, Ryvita with Cottage Cheese....
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    As i type this i am sitting here snacking on Tostios and cheese dip. On a scale from 1 - 10 i don't know how "clean" this is but i figured it can't be that bad.

Anyway my question is, what do yall snack on throughout the day? If you are on a budget, how much of it goes to snacks when you grocery shop?

Tostitos and cheese dip is definitely not "clean", but that doesn't make it a bad snack. Clean foods are unprocessed foods.

My go to snack is fruit and dry roasted edamame. I have trouble meeting my protein goal so the edamame helps. I also have cocoa roast almonds a lot at night, but I call that "dessert" instead of a snack.
  • brianx99
    brianx99 Posts: 30
    Options
    almonds all the way!
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Tostitos and cheese dip? I can't think of anything more unhealthy.

• eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Tostitos and cheese dip? I can't think of anything more unhealthy.

If she likes it and she is meeting her goals, why does it matter?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Quest protein bars
    Greek yogurt
    Cottage cheese
    Fruit
    Low fat cheese

That's mostly it. Occasionally I'll have ice cream or some kind of 'junk', but it doesn't really fill me up so that's for after dinner if I have calories left and I'm not really hungry (most of the time). I'm really not too fond of nuts.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    Not that it particularly matters, but Tostitos and cheese dip most definitely wouldn't be considered "clean" in pretty much any clean eaters book. I personally say it doesn't matter so long as you're getting your proper nutrition in elsewhere and meeting your macro and calorie goals. That said, you could get a lot more nutritional value for your caloric buck...not to mention a bigger and more satisfying snack by choosing more whole foods.

I tend towards fruit and nuts mostly...sometimes I make a nice trail mix with some mixed nuts and dried fruit. I also like popping my own popcorn in coconut oil...I make big batches on the weekend and then put it in serving sandwich bags for snacking.
  • JanMarie2BHealthy
    Options
    - My physician suggested washing and then freezing seedless red grapes. Well, I must admit frozen grapes are really tasty.

- Rice cakes (unsalted) topped with peanut butter or red raspberry jam.

- Black beans with diced tomatoes, onion, banana pepper, cucumber and a bit of oil and vinegar. I also do this with chick peas.

- Plain wheat toast
  • Bubblywendy
    Bubblywendy Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Coffee
    Granola bar
    Rice crackers
    Or peanut butter
  • kazsjourney
    kazsjourney Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Banana and either tahini or peanut butter is a favourite for me, occassionally a piece of multi grain toast with peanut butter, chobani yoghurt, or i make some fruit muffins that are only 200 calories :)