To Fitbit or not to fitbit?

cierra793
cierra793 Posts: 2 Member
edited June 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
I have always wanted to buy a Fitbit but struggle with the cost of one and if I will actually use one to be successful in weight loss. I am not very active but am trying to exercise and think it might help me get those steps in! Would you recommend one? If so, which one is the most bang for buck? Would you not recommend getting one and why? Interested to read your thoughts on this!!!

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    You can use a free app to achieve the same thing, if you carry your phone with you.
  • biggiwig4483
    biggiwig4483 Posts: 90 Member
    Love my Charge 2. I like the heart rate monitor and that it recognizes different activities automatically. It’s not so bulky like other fitbits and I love the exchangeables bands. Also not very expensive.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    I like mine but I also use it as a watch. Before that I just used my phone. I have the Alta HR. Maybe ask for one for a birthday or Christmas present--or a bit of $ towards one?

Their customer service is good too. I've had 2 up and die mysteriously but they sent me replacements no bother.
  • reversemigration
    reversemigration Posts: 168 Member
    Having used MFP with and without one, I can say that - for me - it's a want, not a need. Like @NorthCascades I used my phone (and Google Fit) to track steps. The Alta HR (which I bought on clearance at Target) appears to be more exact in estimating my calorie burn through the day, though I don't really need that level of precision.

I enjoy hitting goals and challenges, so that aspect of Fitbit is motivational but, again, unnecessary and/or can be done other ways. Since habits take a while to establish, set yourself reminders/alarms/etc to move throughout the day, or a distance goal. If you don't have a way of counting steps, just set a distance goal - around the block X number of times a day, etc.

If it's truly a struggle to afford it, save your money.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    I started with the flex2 which was more budget friendly. I think I paid around $60. I have friends and family members who wear Fitbit and I find it motivating to compete in some of the walks. I also liked that the Flex2 auto-tracked certain types of exercise. Prior to my Fitbit I used the Myfitnesspal exercise estimates to track my calories burned. I find it much more convenient to let Fitbit and MFP talk to each other about it now. I find the calorie adjustments to be very accurate for me.

For my birthday this year I upgraded to the Inspire HR (around $100). I love this one even more. The HR data is fascinating for me to look at. I find the sleep data very intriguing. As a new runner, I enjoy being able to connect to my phone’s GPS to get a greater level of details about my runs. It may sound silly, but I am LOVING having a watch face on my wrist again. Years ago I wore a wristwatch daily. Once smartphones were popularized I got out of that habit. I am finding it incredibly useful to just look at my wrist for the time of day.

Is it worth it to you? I don’t know. It motivates me to move more. I am definitely more active with it. If you carry your phone with you everywhere you might try using the phone step counter to motivate you for now.

After owning Flex2 and Inspire HR if I had to choose I’d go ahead with the Inspire HR.
  • LittleLightShine
    LittleLightShine Posts: 123 Member
    My Fitbit absolutely motivates me to MOVE and I love it!! I credit a lot of my motivation and success to its use. I use many of the features, not just step counting. I don't carry my phone everywhere with me so that personally wouldn't be an option but is true if you carried a phone everywhere there are apps.
  • Samantharavenclaw84
    Samantharavenclaw84 Posts: 161 Member
    I bought a Charge3. I feel like it has helped so much in my weight loss journey. It motivates me to move and drink more. I wish I had looked at Garmin's more before purchasing it though.
  • floofyschmoofer
    floofyschmoofer Posts: 209 Member
    I'm partial to Garmin myself. I had a Vivofit for a long time--only just recently upgraded to a FR 35 'cause I lost my Vivofit in my move. They're very affordable + they can be used with a chest strap to get an accurate reading of heart rate and calories 'burned'. It really does help to be able to see those numbers and put a tangible label on your efforts.
  • mirthegeologist
    mirthegeologist Posts: 143 Member
    The Inspire HR Fitbit is around a $100, and tracks heart rate, steps, exercise, sleep, and distance. It’s not a requirement to lose weight, but it has been really interesting to learn more about how I move on a daily basis. There are promo codes regularly that can save you some dollars.
  • jackisott
    jackisott Posts: 2 Member
    It really motivates me to move, good for step challenges with others when you've maybe been a bit lazy to get you back on it.
    I'm an on/off smoker and the heart rate monitor is fascinating from that perspective. If I've had a weekend where I've had a few cigarettes it sky rockets for a day after. It's also just generally good to see your improvement when you're doing cardio.
    Even the sleep patterns are quite interesting if you're into it - get's you aiming for a proper bed time etc.

I have an Alta HR
  • ShayKnicks31
    ShayKnicks31 Posts: 25 Member
    cierra793 wrote: »
    I have always wanted to buy a Fitbit but struggle with the cost of one and if I will actually use one to be successful in weight loss. I am not very active but am trying to exercise and think it might help me get those steps in! Would you recommend one? If so, which one is the most bang for buck? Would you not recommend getting one and why? Interested to read your thoughts on this!!!

I love love love my Inspire HR. 😁💪🏾 I paid around 80 for it and it tracks more than steps. It helps to track your heart rate, activities, steps, calories and plus it can do the things the “fancy more expensive” watches can do as far as starting exercises from the watch. Idk but all I know is once I purchased it I haven’t taken it off (except to clean/wipe down of course) 😂
    It’s something about visually seeing the progress on your wrist that just makes it more motivating.
    Hope you join the FitBit fam and would love to do some challenges with you 🌻🤗
  • ShayKnicks31
    ShayKnicks31 Posts: 25 Member
    msielbeck wrote: »
    The Inspire HR Fitbit is around a $100, and tracks heart rate, steps, exercise, sleep, and distance. It’s not a requirement to lose weight, but it has been really interesting to learn more about how I move on a daily basis. There are promo codes regularly that can save you some dollars.

If you purchase it from Bed Bath and Beyond you can ask them for a 20% coupon.
    I had to order mine and they offered it over the phone and said online does the same thing. Came in 2 days later 💜 had to get the lilac one

• Aelie1963
    Aelie1963 Posts: 12 Member
    edited June 2019
    I have a third party $25 step / HR / sleep / BPM / sedentary warning / alarm tracker, and I love it. It charges directly from USB, and for me its only downside with MFP is that you can't synch steps automatically, but will have to log them manually under "other measurements" or in an old fashioned paper and pencil log. But it is fairly accurate. Amazon, look for the Skygrand wristband. (You do have some mangled English in the instructions, but meh, they are comprehensible, so ...)

I had a Fitbit Charge 2, but like a lot of them it stopped taking a charge, and I wasn't willing to drop that much money on something that might only last a few months (the last one's longevity). If I wind up continuing to use the Skygrand I might consider moving up to a name brand, but so far a month in the Skygrand is doing everything I need it to do. If it lasts as long for a third the price, I am happy.
  • runlaugheatpie
    runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
    I don't think these devices help you lose weight, however, you might be more motivated to be more active if you had a device that helps you keep track of steps (and you have a daily step goal). I had a fitbit for years and years and eventually upgraded to a Garmin vivofit. I'm very active now compared to when I first started (10 years ago) so for me it's worth it to have a device that tracks everything.
  • FinelyFermented
    FinelyFermented Posts: 100 Member
    You can use a free app to achieve the same thing, if you carry your phone with you.

This! I have 2 different ones on my dresser that I haven't worn in a couple years
  • SugaSugaNooo
    SugaSugaNooo Posts: 106 Member
    edited June 2019
    This is one of the very few gadgets that lasted longer than a few weeks. In fact, I have a dent in my wrist from wearing it for the last 3 (?) years. I love it, definitely helps me keeping active. For weight loss I'm not so sure now, MFP is definitely better for that (for me).
  • mirthegeologist
    mirthegeologist Posts: 143 Member
    You could probably find a second hand Fitbit for sale on Facebook to try it—if you don’t end up liking it, you aren’t out a lot of money.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    I got a refurbished Garmin and I love it. I agree that there are phone apps that can do the same thing, but I hardly ever have my phone with me - especially as a female most of my clothes don't have pockets.

It motivates me to be more active, and helps me see my sleep patterns. While it is definitely not necessary in a weight loss effort, I love mine and it was well worth the money!