What are you doing to lose weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• yuko0407
    yuko0407 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    The same. A calorie deficit.
    I didn't have a lot of weight to lose, about 10 kg. I've started at the end of March, and I've lost 5 kg up to now. For me, it is very useful to weight in daily, first thing in the morning, and use a trend application (Happy Scale). Very happy doing that: three weeks ago, I've hit a two weeks-long plateau... I'd have been very discouraged without my trend app!
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Like most here I eat in a calorie deficit. I also hike and trail run. These are the basics for me and I've lost 50 pounds doing it.

There are some other things that I do that keep this process manageable, even easier, for me:

If I'm hungrier on a day then I eat more. I'm trying to do a better job listening to what my body needs. Next day I'm right back on track.

If I feel really worn out then I might skip a workout or get some extra sleep. Doesn't happen often anymore.

No matter what happens with my diet I wake up the next day back on plan. What matters is long- term consistency.

I eat at least 10 servings of vegetables and fruit daily as an attempt to eat a highly nutritious diet. This has given me possibly the most energy I've had as an adult

I trust the plan. I definitely get streaks when there's no weight loss. As long as I'm sure I've been in a deficit then the weight will come off so I stick to the plan.

And as a 50 year old woman, I am very active and have raised my NEAT a lot. I take out the trash, I carry heavy boxes, etc. This helps me burn more calories throughout the day without purposeful exercise and makes weight loss a bit easier. (I've had to raise my calories goal 3 times this year to compensate.)

So these are the things that have worked for me. Everyone has their own process but the one strategy that works is calorie deficit.

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I also chose a deficit that I could do long term (.5 pounds a week) and I am good about logging everything I eat. I do estimate if I’m eating at a potluck or somewhere similar. I am good about weighing calorie dense foods (avocado, nuts, peanut butter). If I go off the rails I log it and then go back to eating better the next day. I allow myself to eat or drink anything I want on special occasions (i.e. my birthday, anniversary). I eat very healthy nutritious foods that give me enough protein, fiber and fat, and I eat no fast food and cook at home most nights.
  • blisterpeanuts
    blisterpeanuts Posts: 67 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    This is a great discussion. I've been back on MFP since May, have dropped maybe 10 lbs, and hoping/aiming to drop another 25-30 by end of year. I initially did a zero carb diet for three weeks, to shift my body into fat-burning mode, then started a strict caloric diet, mostly low carb except for some fruit every day. I believe fruit's good for you.

Am also hitting the gym, doing upper body weightlifting and lots of cardio, and riding my bike on the off-days. I'm not eating my workout calories. Maybe I'll start eating about 50% of workout calories, since others recommend it; we'll see!

My weight loss has stalled these past two weeks, which I assume and hope is due to replacing fat with muscle. I trust the process, because it worked for me once before. This time, I'm hoping to get to a maintenance level and then be a little more relaxed about what I eat, as some other folks have stated here. It's so much easier to diet if you don't have to obsess over every gram and every calorie!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    I doubt if you have significantly built muscle in 2 weeks blisterpeanuts.

A 2 week stall is normal anyway - weight loss isnt linear and sometimes you will not see a change in 2 weeks.