What is your main meal, lunch or dinner?

Options
I have gravitated to having lunch rather than dinner as the main meal of the day, even though culture, dinner is traditionally the big one. Dining out is less elaborate over lunch, and I would rather keep things simple and light toward the end of the day.

What is your main meal?

Replies

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    My largest meal has always been dinner with the exception of brunch once a week
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Dinner. I cook for myself and my husband and we eat together. We do lunch on our own.
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Dinner. I save 3/4 of my calories for dinner.
  • wmweeza
    wmweeza Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Breakfast
  • biggiwig4483
    biggiwig4483 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Largest meal breakfast, medium lunch and small dinner.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Early dinner - 5 or 5:30
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Mine are usually about equal. Hubby gets an extra starch for dinner, so his dinner is usually bigger.

He is slender, strong and the only issue with his blood work is that his cholesterol is below normal; he can have lots of extra things that would be a PITA to carry to work for lunch everyday.
  • umbramirror
    umbramirror Posts: 256 Member
    Options

This exactly, except on weekends when sometimes lunch becomes the main meal.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,266 Member
    Options
    Varies by day, along with the number of meals (2-4). I'm retired, and my favorite active pursuit (on-water rowing) is seasonal here, so that creates some flexibility and seasonal variation.

Usual summer pattern (now) is light breakfast, medium lunch, medium to large supper/dinner. (I'm used to using "Dinner" in part to designate the big meal: In my neck of the woods, a big "Sunday Dinner" happens about 1PM. ;) ).

In Winter, the two meal pattern is fairly common fo me: Medium brunch, large supper/dinner.

None of the differences seem to make a difference for weight loss (I'm in year 3 of maintenance), and the day-to-day/seasonal variations are there to serve my satiation patterns under different circumstances.
  • QoLmatters
    QoLmatters Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Dinner on weekdays and lunch on weekends usually.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I've just recently switched my bigger meal to lunch. :)
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    Dinner.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,984 Member
    Options
    It depends on the day.
    On a long work day, "afternoon snack" (actually a series of no-prep snacks as hunger recurs) is often my biggest meal. When I'm finally done working, I'll often just have light supper that attempts to fill in whatever protein, fiber, etc. deficiencies in my day.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Dinner's my largest almost always...but for me it's VERY important that my lunch is at least 400 calories. If it's not, I tend to get a little grumpy and crave snacks. Through several years of trial and error I've found what works best for me is a very small breakfast (usually under 200) then at least 400 for lunch, which gives me a little more than 1/2 of my daily calories left for dinner.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,593 Member
    Options
    Definitely dinner, lunch is a large salad though.
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I prefer eating lighter at lunch--breakfast, small morning snack, salad with protein for lunch, small afternoon snack, then dinner some protein, carb, veggies. Eating too heavy at lunch seems to drag down my afternoon energy. Or maybe I just like grazing?
  • ducttapebowtie
    ducttapebowtie Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Dinner is bigger just kinda by default. I work most days until 4. I don't intentionally do IF, but it just ends up that way. I get up at 6 and by the time I'm hungry (11 or so), my job is busiest. If I eat "lunch" it's pretty small and takes like five minutes or less to make/eat.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,514 Member
    Options
    I try to keep all three fairly equal, with room for large’ish snacks after lunch and dinner. Snacks of choice right now are buttered popcorn with truffle salt in the afternoon, and a big bowl of cottage cheese, strawberries, blueberries, balsamic vinegar and a few grams of grape nuts. Yum!!!

Learned years ago, no popcorn after dinner. For some reason popcorn gives me crazy, colorful, exhausting, vivid dreams and nightmares. No other food does that to me. Weird.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options

This exactly, except on weekends when sometimes lunch becomes the main meal.
    Me three. I love eating like this (large breakfast, medium lunch, small or no dinner), for acid reflux and other reasons, but it makes social dinners difficult.