Recovery days

Options
Recovery days - how many days do you take as recovery days and What do you do on those days ? I had an early dinner today - at 7.. it’s 11:20 now .. I am just about to go to sleep but I am a little hungry now ... too late at night to eat so hopefully I get some good sleep and am ready for my morning workout!

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I usually take 1-2 recovery days per week, depending on how I’m feeling etc. My workouts include biking, swimming, and weights, do I enjoy a lot of variety that works my body in different ways. For recovery, I like to take a couple of long walks and done stretching or yoga. When I first started 5 yr ago, I needed recovery about every other day.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Depends what you are doing for your training, how your body feels, and how far along you are in it. I'd say I ain for an average of 2 a week. But some weeks I'll do more and some weeks I'll do less. I did 12 days in a row of exercise once because my body felt up to it and I didn't overdo it in any particular muscle area. But other weeks Ill only work out 3-4 times a week if I'm busy or feel like I need extra rest.

As far as my rest days, I usually just mostly rest, and enjoy the day. I'll also usually get errands done, so I may walk around a bit more than average.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    I'm with Lorr: Best answer depends on your exercise experience level/fitness, and the nature of your exercise.

Exercise beginners might want to start with mild to moderate workouts every other day, and gradually increase duration/intensity/frequency from there, to keep it a little challenging, but make sure energy level stays good and to minimize injury risk.

Long term exercisers, people who are pretty fit, can work out up to multiple times a day, if they vary the workouts sensibly (type of exercise, intensity, etc.), with a recovery day once a week or so that's lighter (walk, casual bike ride, that sort of thing). Generally it's counterproductive to do challenging strength exercise for the same muscle groups without a day (two sleeps) in between.

In summer now, I row (on water) four days a week, and go to spin class twice a week, usually. For last and this week, I'm rowing (lower intensity) a second time 3 days each week, to help with our club's learn-to-row class. Rest days are usually just puttering around the house/garden, maybe doing some stretching or casual walking/biking. I usually just do one rest day weekly, though if rowing is out due to weather, I might not do a substitute workout. This has pretty much been my summer routine for 15 years or thereabouts.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I'm a runner with a 5 day a week run schedule. I walk 7 days a week (big dog). On my off days I will sometimes do nothing besides the walks, but sometimes I'll bike, go for a hike, do yoga or Pilates, mow the lawn, etc. I let mood and energy and other activities determine whether a rest day is a true rest day or an active rest day.