Weight gain. Metabolism damage?

Options
Over the last 3 months I have managed to gain 4 pounds. It baffles me because I was working out 6 days a week and had a deficit enough to lose .5 a week. However, I use to be someone who would try to eat around 1200 calories w/ working out. I did it time after time to get my weight down. I reached 135 last summer and plateaued for the millionth time from probably eating so little. In November, I got married, I gained 6 pound easily in two weeks it seems. I couldn't get those 6 pounds to go away and I stopped tracking food on MFP, because it was driving me crazy. I ditched the scale. I upped my calories. I had a good idea of how many calories I was taking it (1400-1900, depending on my workout). I had a deficit like I said, but somehow ended up gain 4 pounds. I don't know the reason... overtraining? not enough protein? too many carbs? I use to spend 60 mins if not more on cardio. I now do more strength training and have cut down on my cardio.

Also, I've started tracking again since I decided to try to the IIFYM approach. I have my calories at 1500 at the moment and eat around 140 carbs, 146 protein, and 50-56 grams of fat. I'm afraid to eat anymore than 1500 calories, but I feel somedays I should up it to at least 1600 because of my workouts. I'm 5'6" and now at 146 lbs. How does one recover their metabolism? Should I increase my calories on days that I workout harder and focus on hitting the marcos I have now?