Gym free workouts for 45+ age group

Options
As an older person (in my 50's) I have found that I want to do my workouts inside a commercial big box gym less and less. As I age I get less and less focused on aesthetic aspects of fitness and more toward functional and general fitness goals. Doing something like a four day body builder type spit routine has given way to workouts like riding my mountain bike to the park and setting up my TRX on a tree and getting in a full body workout in the sun and fresh air.
On a conditioning day I might do a "ruck" ( military term for doing an aggressive hike or walk carrying a 15 to 20 lb rucksack).
Or maybe on a strength training day I will take the sandbag out in the yard and do a full body sandbag workout. Other days just a vigorous bike ride or walk a few miles.
Do any of you older exercisers find that you are enjoying the gym less and less and abandoning it for other types of fitness ?

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation at a similar age. I will tolerate some gym workouts during the winter, but I like to be outdoors.

I do some calisthenics at home with resistance bands. I'd like to try TRX!
  • mojavemtbr
    mojavemtbr Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation at a similar age. I will tolerate some gym workouts during the winter, but I like to be outdoors.

I do some calisthenics at home with resistance bands. I'd like to try TRX!

The TRX is so convenient because you can toss it in a daypack or duffle and take it anywhere.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    Age 64 here. I fired my gym about 4-5 years ago after having been a gym rat for many, many, many years. However, I’m not one to work out at home so I still go somewhere.

Local parks are my venue, I have three in my rotation. There, I do kettlebells complex workout, pull-ups and chin-ups (BW volume and weighted), bar dips and running/walking.

I so have an extra room at my office where I’ll sometimes work out with kettlebells and my newest office addition, a bar dips station.

Gone in my gym-free life now is the social chit-chat I would do which has been a time-saver.

I sometimes miss barbells, squat rack, and the treadmill but not enough to do anything about it.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Not anywhere close to being ready to quit the gym, but I have added DDP Yoga to the mix at home and love it.
  • mojavemtbr
    mojavemtbr Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Sharon_C wrote: »
    Not anywhere close to being ready to quit the gym, but I have added DDP Yoga to the mix at home and love it.

I did not know what the DDP Yoga was that you mentioned so I looked it up. It looks pretty cool.
    I have been looking for something that my wife and I can do together that would help her lose weight, gain flexibility, and strengthen her muscles and it looks like it has real possibilities. Is it a beginner friendly workout ?