Best super dark chocolate

Options
slbbw
slbbw Posts: 329 Member
Curious what everyone's favorite very dark, sugar sweetened or unsweetened dark chocolate is. I just purchased a couple different brands for my office snack drawer. Looking for around 1-2g of sugar for a 50-70 calorie serving size. Not interested in stevia, sucralose malitol etc sweetened chocolates.

I am trying or have tried: Ghiradelli 92%, Lindt 90%, Alter Eco 90%, HT traders 85% and Montezuma absolute black 100%.

I like the Ghiradelli and the Montezuma so far. Did not care for the Alter Eco, Have not tried the other two.

Replies

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    I like the Lindt 90% (have 2 bars in my 'goodie' drawer). I have tried the Green and Black but it's a toss up for the Lindt (at least as far as I can taste any difference).
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I'm a simple kinda girl. I like the dark Hershey kisses. Serving size is 6. I rarely need more than 2 to satisfy.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Solkiki’s ‘Kablon’ 85% is the best I’ve found so far, but it depends on your taste preference.

I find Lindt and most of the other major chocolatiers a bit bland. Kablon has a lot of personality, being more bitter and slightly reminiscent of nuts and biscuit. Alternatively, if you’re UK based, I can highly recommend Cocoa Caravan’s dark vegan chocolate (sweetened with coconut sugar).
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I like Chocolove 88%. 4 g of sugar in 180 cal.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Of the brands that are relatively easy to find, Guittard is very good. Their darkest bar is 91%: https://www.guittard.com/our-chocolate/detail/nocturne-bittersweet-chocolate-91-cacao

For something that's harder to find (unless you happen to be local to the Bay Area), this one is amazing: https://www.coracaoconfections.com/products/after-dark-truffle-bar
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I like the Endangered Species Strong & Velvety Dark Chocolate - 88% 3g sugar in 180 calories
  • Lark13
    Lark13 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Ghirardelli 60% or 72% cocoa. Great flavor, and excellent texture.
  • apullum
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    Solkiki’s ‘Kablon’ 85% is the best I’ve found so far, but it depends on your taste preference.

I find Lindt and most of the other major chocolatiers a bit bland. Kablon has a lot of personality, being more bitter and slightly reminiscent of nuts and biscuit. Alternatively, if you’re UK based, I can highly recommend Cocoa Caravan’s dark vegan chocolate (sweetened with coconut sugar).

I've never liked Lindt at all, even before I became a chocolate snob. Good to know that's not just me--so many people seem to love it.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I’ve tried a lot of the ones others have mentioned, but always go back to Dove Dark Chocolate caramel with sea salt. Only around 40 calories per piece, and I have one every evening. There’s a local company, Abdallah, here that makes candy. Their dark chocolate caramels with sea salt are better, but more calories and more expensive.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »

I've never liked Lindt at all, even before I became a chocolate snob. Good to know that's not just me--so many people seem to love it.

Definitely not just you. What other people call ‘smooth’, I call ‘flavourless’.

Clearly we need to get together and do a taste testing :)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I’ve tried a lot of the ones others have mentioned, but always go back to Dove Dark Chocolate caramel with sea salt. Only around 40 calories per piece, and I have one every evening. There’s a local company, Abdallah, here that makes candy. Their dark chocolate caramels with sea salt are better, but more calories and more expensive.

I wish the Dove Dark Chocolate listed a %! I suspect it doesn't count as "super" dark chocolate, because I have yet to find an over 70% dark that I really like, and I love those little Dove Promises :love:

I've yet to see Chocolove in a store, I must make a better effort to look for it!
  • apullum
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

I wish the Dove Dark Chocolate listed a %! I suspect it doesn't count as "super" dark chocolate, because I have yet to find an over 70% dark that I really like, and I love those little Dove Promises :love:

I've yet to see Chocolove in a store, I must make a better effort to look for it!

If you have a Whole Foods, they usually stock it--at least the ones here do.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

If you have a Whole Foods, they usually stock it--at least the ones here do.

We do, I will have to pop in and check, thanks!
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    Taza Wicked Dark (95%), Theo Pure Dark (85%), Green & Blacks (85%). I also make my own... 100% :)
  • Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I tried 90% Lindt and it was so bitter! My mouth just have up lol, couldn't taste anything
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options

.....sigh.....I know, right? They make me happy, and they are probably not much better for me than milk chocolate.

I’m an old lady, with unsophisticated tastes, who knows what she likes. Tried the “good for you” dark chocolates, and to my plebeian tastes they are awful! I made myself a deal very early on in this adventure, “no foods that I dislike, no matter how good for me”, and I am sticking with that.😁
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Pure baker's chocolate...haven't eaten in like forever because the trade-off for inducing a massive headache usually is not worth it
  • SuperSlayer81
    SuperSlayer81 Posts: 19 Member
    Options

Definitely not just you. What other people call ‘smooth’, I call ‘flavourless’.

Clearly we need to get together and do a taste testing :)

I have a chocolate spreadsheet. My husband and I use it to keep track of all the bars we've tried and our thoughts on them. At this point, I could put together a pretty darn good chocolate tasting. We've also done tours of a couple chocolatiers, which were very nice ways to compare chocolate grown in different regions.

"Smooth" isn't something I'm looking for in a very dark bar. I would expect those bars to have complex flavors, and I think a bar described as "smooth" is usually pleasant but not interesting or complex.

This has made my night and I immediately want to start my own chocolate spreadsheet! 😍
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    The Chocolove is typically at my WF too, so I wouldn't be surprised if you have luck there, kimny72.

I discovered it by impulse buying at a place called Hannah's Bretzel (which is an overly expensive but occasionally worth it lunch place that has a huge selection of chocolates that you are basically forced to look at when in line). I checked and it seems like Hannah's is just a local chain.

For fun, here's their chocolate information (doesn't seem like they are selling the Chocolove currently, although a variety of others I would like to try and some I have): https://www.hannahsbretzel.com/chocolate/