I cried at the park today

Options
I'm 40 and morbidly obese. Im just tired of it all. Last week, I went to an amusement park with my teens and was afraid to ride anything. I was afraid I wouldn't fit! That's when I decided to make a change and start living. I've been researching and started meal prepping. I enlisted a work out partner for 3 days a week at the gym. I was all excited. Today, I went to the park to walk a mile. I could only make it a half mile 😭. I'm ashamed. How could I let myself get here!? My lungs hurt, my ankles hurt and my legs burned. I sat on my car and cried.

Replies

• appledawn0422
    appledawn0422 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    I think you are looking st it from the wrong perspective. Walking half a mile is nothing to be ahsamed of. You got out there and did it, that's what's important. You have to meet your body where it is at, not where you want it to be. In time, it will get there. There are people who have started out worse than you and now they run marathons and triathlons. So there is no limit for what you can accomplish. It will just take time and dedication.

You're right. I guess when it comes to my weight, I need an attitude adjustment. Thanks for your kind words!
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    YOu're taking the right steps! It's great that you got out there and walked the half a mile - baby steps! YOu did half this time, next time you can do a little bit more, and more until you are walking lots of miles.

Don't be so hard on yourself. It takes time. The important thing is that you are starting :)

Hang in there!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Half a mile is still better than nothing. Try a bike or elliptical at the gym, less impact might help. Try swimming if you can.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Like others said, good on you for getting out there and trying. Not everyday is going to be a good day, but not letting those bad days stop you is what's important.
  • appledawn0422
    Options
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    YOu're taking the right steps! It's great that you got out there and walked the half a mile - baby steps! YOu did half this time, next time you can do a little bit more, and more until you are walking lots of miles.

Don't be so hard on yourself. It takes time. The important thing is that you are starting :)

Hang in there!

Thank so much for your support and motivation!! I know that you're right, I just have to change my mindset!!
  • appledawn0422
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    Like others said, good on you for getting out there and trying. Not everyday is going to be a good day, but not letting those bad days stop you is what's important.

I guess I expected too much from myself since I'm just starting. I'm gonna keep pushing! Thank you!
    12774 Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    @appledawn0422. Give yourself credit for walking one half mile.As you become more comfortable ,you can increase your distance. Good luck!
  • appledawn0422
    Options
    pjshawley wrote: »
    I truly believe we are never to old to give up on ourselves. I am 60 and recently decided I wanted to live longer. Obesity was killing me, but that is changing. I huff and puff on my exercise bike and roll around on my Total Gym like a beached whale. But I am doing it. Because I care about myself and I care about those who love me. I want to be here and live a full, vibrant life. That is what keeps me going.

Crying and emotions are good. You have an accountability partner, as do I. It really helps to lean on others when needed. Be proud of yourself for your 1/2 mile walk and for going to the gym. I read on a post here today, "Small hinges open big doors". You are making great steps in the right direction.

Those reasons are mine as well. My twins are 14...I want to be able to enjoy the last few years I have them at home with me. They are pushing me too! Thank you so much for your encouragement!
  • appledawn0422
    Options
    12774 wrote: »
    @appledawn0422. Give yourself credit for walking one half mile.As you become more comfortable ,you can increase your distance. Good luck!
    12774 wrote: »

You're right!! I know I have to change my mindset! Thank you!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Starting is always the hardest part. You can totally do this, just don't quit!
  • appledawn0422
    Options
    jdog022 wrote: »
    My daughter was 3 when my dr said my health habits would almost certainly lead to her growing up without a father, like I did.

I put a picture of her next to my bed. Every morning I woke up , saw that, and used that as my motivation to exercise and track my food every single day. You know how many planned exercise days I have missed in 3 years? None. How many days I missed tracking my food? None

I met my original goals a long time ago but she is still my number one motivator.

That's awesome!! I sincerely hope I can be as motivated and determined as you!! Congratulations on your success!! It's very inspiring to hear!
  • appledawn0422
    Options
    Starting is always the hardest part. You can totally do this, just don't quit!

Thank you!!