I cried at the park today

Options

Replies

• spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    You could look at it this way... You are a step further along than you were before you went to the park, because now you know that you want to change :)
    The mindset is the biggest and hardest thing to change!
    Good luck. You can do it x
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Just look at all those encouraging messages and good advise from MFP members! That's what it is all about: MFP will do all the necessary calculations for you and what could go wrong with great member's support? I started 443 days ago and so far dropped 36 kg / 80 pounds, started on 170 kg / 375 pounds. I prepare a basic meal plan for the next day and take it meal by meal, day by day. Still a long way to go - but where would I be if I would not have started last year to do something for myself, something for my health?
  • o0kody0o
    o0kody0o Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    You should feel proud of yourself for taking the first steps. You went to the park and you walked...that is good! It doesn’t matter how long you walked for...you done it. Set yourself small goals to start with, then push yourself a little further each time you meet your goals. I remember seeing a quote somewhere and I think it’s quite fitting for your post:

No matter how slow you go, you’re still lapping everybody on the couch!

Never give up 🤗
  • sanrdj
    sanrdj Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Good for you. You went out, you didn't achieve your initial goal but who cares! It gives you something to strive towards. Sore muscles means they haven't moved in that way in a while and so they are yelling at you. Let them yell... no pain, no gain! Don't overdue it but get out there again. Everytime you move you tell your body you want to be healthier! It gets easier.... and it's worth it!
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    One day you'll be at that park laughing with joy at what you've accomplished while remembering the day you cried so early in your journey. Keep marching forward in your fitness, health and wellness journey and don't quit until the miracle arrives.
  • lollie1285
    lollie1285 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Oh sweetie - what you did was still amazing! Do not let this get you down! Just realizing the situation you're in and doing something about it already makes you a winner in my eyes. Do a little more each day and you will be amazed with how far you come. And as a group exercise instructor, I always say that it's not about how skinny you are -- it's about how STRONG you are! That is an accomplishment in itself. So, work your way up and do great things. I know you can!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    you realized there was a problem
    you came to believe you needed to change
    and you are actively trying to enforce those changes.

a half mile is perfectly fine. a quarter mile would be too. just.keep.going.
  • TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    You're headed in the right direction. Be proud of yourself. Many people don't even take that first step. Keep going and you'll be surprised just how quickly things improve.
  • sweetbe44
    sweetbe44 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Good for you for deciding to make a change. Go easy on youself. Don’t expect to go from zero to 100 mph overnight or you will discourage yourself. Make gradual changes in both nutrition and fitness and be consistent. You will be amazed at your body’s ability to adapt and change.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Everyone has to start somewhere no matter what it's for. I tell people thus all the time when I'm at skating. Same goes for fitness and weight loss.

For the gym what about trying a bike first. It's less weight bearing and i suspect you'll find it a bit easier.

Baby steps. You'll get there and then you can advise the next person posting similar. But just keep going. We all started somewhere
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Sending major hugs your way. <3
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your new found purpose. You'll likely find that your life is nothing more than an outcome of your behavior.

As for the past, unless there are elements to learn from, move on.

Looking forward seek progress, not perfection.

...and forget motivation. Motivation is emotional and fleeting. Enjoy it while it lasts and ride on the wave.

Choose discipline. Discipline yields results.
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Hello, @appledawn0422 !
    It is so great that you have taken the first step. Many of us have had moments like that. Here's a great account of a moment like that by @The_Movie_Chair , who has chronicled her journey in an amazing blog here on MFP:
    https://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/The_Movie_Chair/view/the-empty-chair-beside-me-909153

Weight loss is all about making small improvements, taking daily and weekly actions that add up over time. (Here's one of my favorite videos about this -- How to Get 1% Better Every Day by habits expert James Clear.)
  • Julie8468
    Julie8468 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Hello, I would recommend this

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10750239/july-2019-fat2fit-weight-loss-challenge-support-group-registration-page#latest

It’s a support group, it’s helped me stay motivated to keep going. Ask questions, get support, vent and make friends. No bs.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    You can't change the past or where you are at this particular moment. You can only change your trajectory and destination going forward. I retired last January (2018) after a long sedentary IT career, morbidly obese in my own right. The family bought me a new bike for Christmas 2017 in anticipation of retiring, with the encouragement, "go forth and ride." Riding is way easier on the body when you are older and oversized. Except up hills, of course, LOL. But its a great way to get fitter. It's my choice in preference to running.

I lost 35+ lbs last year, and this year I'm bouncing in a narrow range, but being measured by the doctor as gaining muscle mass. So, in his words, "you're getting fitter/stronger, you're feeling better, and your clothes are getting looser. You're doing basically the right things, keep at it." Of course, we want to accelerate the loss, and with summer now starting, my successful regimen of last year (riding to the beach - I live close to the shore in NJ) and swimming most days is ramping up. Swimming, by the way is another great low-impact exercise.

Exercise is not sufficient, however. Some sort of dietary regimen is needed. "You can't outride your fork," is a cycling fitness saying I picked up last year. For me, "moderation is key," and I'm not doing anything to wacky. Caloric control, fresh whole and home prepared foods, lower glycemic values, lower salt content all work for me.

All these changes will take time to manifest in a postive direction, and the direction doesn't always seem to be positive. You will have both imagined and real setbacks, this is life. I see you're walking. Much as you, I had difficulty walking when I began this last year; a mall was a strenuous outing. This past winter, during my "cycling off season," I joined a winter senior hikers group - and boy could some of those old geezers really walk LOL - I felt truly inadequate compared to them. But I kept at it, and it all got better. Time. Effort. Results.

You can do it. You've already chosen the path to embark on. You have motivation (your kids). Fighting you will be your brain - discouragement is always stalking around, waiting to get you. Just keep your focus. There will be both real and imagined setbacks, this is life. But you will prevail if you keep your focus. Good luck.
  • JessicaLThomas0316
    JessicaLThomas0316 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You TRIED. You got up and OUT and MOVED. THAT is what you need to focus on. Very few can set a goal and achieve it the first time out of the gate. Please, please don't let what you feel to be a set-back deter you from pushing forward. Give yourself time.
  • Samantharavenclaw84
    Samantharavenclaw84 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    You can do this! Like others have said, the fact that you walked is still good! You may not have reached where you wanted to but you moved your body and that's better than nothing! In July I could walk about .75 miles before I felt like I was dying. Now I walk 3-6 miles at a time and often run 2 of those miles. Your body (and mind) will get stronger. <3