I cried at the park today

Options

Replies

• frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I haven’t been in your shoes, but I have a life long friend that was. She had over 100 lbs to lose. She had really never done any kind of physical activity. She said the 1st time she decided to walk around the one mile loop that is her neighborhood, she got so tired and winded that she suddenly burst into tears. She’s not a cryer.
    Fast forward. It’s now probably 20 years that she is in fantastic shape.
    She started with walking in place during commercials at night when watching tv.
    She progressed little by little. She made changes to her diet little by little.
    You can do this. Just look at it as your new healthy lifestyle and NOT a diet. This is a new you.
    Don’t give up. If you ever need encouragement there are lots of people here that would love to lend a hand.
    You’ve got this!!!
    Remember, little by little.❤️😘
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,259 Member
    Options
    Everybody’s already said the important stuff. I’m sorry you were disappointed by not meeting your own expectations, but keep at it and you’ll surpass them. You can turn this around. Good for you for putting your health out front ❤️
  • Suuzanne37
    Suuzanne37 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Regarding exercise; you should do the best you can at where you are, and then improve based on your starting point.

I started at 3,000 steps; then improved to 7,000, then to 10,000 etc.

In addition; be patient with yourself; utilize the tools provided within this app and “settle in for the long haul”.

You can do it!
  • kressjennifer38
    kressjennifer38 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Do NOT GIVE UP! When I started this journey, it was ALL for stress relief. Going to the gym was torture. Every single day I found myself not eating. AT ALL. Days would pass and I still didn't eat. It's now been since May 20th that I started this journey. I still have days that I don't eat enough and struggle getting enough calories (yeah it's not as fun as you'd think) BUT, EVERY SINGLE DAY ... Tell yourself, outloud if you have too ... I AM WORTH THIS! I am worth making the effort. And if you don't succeed THAT day, tell yourself, tomorrow is another day. YOU ARE WORTH THIS! DO NOT GIVE UP!

And just a p.s to this, last week, on leg day at the gym, I sprained my ankle. Just came down wrong. We ALL get hurt sometimes. But, don't let your HEAD tell you it's not worth it. Putting one foot in front of the other is the BEST any of us can do. Good Luck!
  • appledawn0422
    appledawn0422 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I haven’t been in your shoes, but I have a life long friend that was. She had over 100 lbs to lose. She had really never done any kind of physical activity. She said the 1st time she decided to walk around the one mile loop that is her neighborhood, she got so tired and winded that she suddenly burst into tears. She’s not a cryer.
    Fast forward. It’s now probably 20 years that she is in fantastic shape.
    She started with walking in place during commercials at night when watching tv.
    She progressed little by little. She made changes to her diet little by little.
    You can do this. Just look at it as your new healthy lifestyle and NOT a diet. This is a new you.
    Don’t give up. If you ever need encouragement there are lots of people here that would love to lend a hand.
    You’ve got this!!!
    Remember, little by little.❤️😘

Thanks so much for your encouragement!! ❤️
  • appledawn0422
    Options
    I remember the first time I cried related to my weight - I was in the dressing room and realizing I had to move up from XXL shirts to XXXL.

The second time I cried related to my weight was when I had surpassed 100 lbs lost.

I’m now 3.5 years into my weight loss journey and I’ve been bouncing around 130-140lbs for awhile now.

I can do things I never thought I’d be able to do - running in 10K’s, in addition to multiple 3-5 mile runs each week. Lifting heavy weight 2-3x a week. I’m back to size 34 jeans, wear XL shirts (and longing to get into L).

You’ll surprise and amaze yourself each and everyday but you have to keep going. If you take a day or two off, that’s ok, hop back on and get going again and it’ll be very worth it.

Congratulations!! That's a great success story and makes me want to do well on my journey! Thanks so much for your kindness and encouragement!!
  • mszallar
    mszallar Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hey! Wonderful job!

I know others have said it, but swimming is a great alternative for days you may be in too much joint pain. Not a replacement, but still wonderful.

I would recommend a step counter, or pedometer, to track how much you walk. Wear it for a week or two to see your trends, then make slight adjustments through your day to increase that step count. While focused walks are great, overall general activity does wonders for someone starting out and avoids those impacts or pains.

Park in the farthest spot at work to get a few extra steps. Take the stairs at least one time you'd take the elevator. Etc etc.

Someone said baby steps, and they are not joking! You're awesome for recognizing your struggle and deciding to make it better. Keep up the amazing work, don't let others discourage you! Mfp has your back. :)
  • TomWJD444
    TomWJD444 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Where you start is not very important in the long term. What matters is gradual improvement from your continued efforts and getting to a healthy goal. Wherever people start just reflects how long the journey will be to get where they wish to be. Be sure to give your body a day off per week when needed. Also, in the beginning you may find that you can't do as much as the day before. It's okay to do less as your body needs breaks to rejuvinate or heal. Just keep your eye on the goal and celebrate your successes healthily. You will get there and then you just maintain.
  • caindove11
    caindove11 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Take it one day at a time. Be patient and try not to get frustrated. It's a process. Start with a half mile, then build up to a full mile. You got this!
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    I know the feels. I lost a bunch of weight about 6 years ago, got into running, and was almost up to half marathon distance. Then, I fell off the wagon due to some bad choices, stress at work, and eating my feelings, and I gained all of it back. This past December, my blood pressure was getting to dangerous levels and I decided to try again. I started with the C25k program: the very first workout called for 1 minute of jogging and 1.5 minutes of walking six times. I covered maybe three quarters of a mile and at the end, I had to lie down on the sidewalk and gasp like a fish, too exhausted to even consider walking the rest of the way home until I caught my breath 15 minutes later. It was humiliating, and I was this close to giving up, but I'm stubborn, so I went back out on my next workout day and did it again. It felt just as bad. I wasn't until Week 2 that I realized I wasn't having to flop down on the concrete after. It was a small victory, but it kept me going. I ran a 10k last weekend, and I'm signed up for my very first half marathon in November. I am bound and determined to complete the race the slipped from my fingers last time. You've got this. It's going to be hard, and you may not see the improvements your making until you look back at where you started. Taking that first step is the hardest, but taking the second, knowing how hard the first one was, comes close.
  • appledawn0422
    Options
    grimendale wrote: »
    I know the feels. I lost a bunch of weight about 6 years ago, got into running, and was almost up to half marathon distance. Then, I fell off the wagon due to some bad choices, stress at work, and eating my feelings, and I gained all of it back. This past December, my blood pressure was getting to dangerous levels and I decided to try again. I started with the C25k program: the very first workout called for 1 minute of jogging and 1.5 minutes of walking six times. I covered maybe three quarters of a mile and at the end, I had to lie down on the sidewalk and gasp like a fish, too exhausted to even consider walking the rest of the way home until I caught my breath 15 minutes later. It was humiliating, and I was this close to giving up, but I'm stubborn, so I went back out on my next workout day and did it again. It felt just as bad. I wasn't until Week 2 that I realized I wasn't having to flop down on the concrete after. It was a small victory, but it kept me going. I ran a 10k last weekend, and I'm signed up for my very first half marathon in November. I am bound and determined to complete the race the slipped from my fingers last time. You've got this. It's going to be hard, and you may not see the improvements your making until you look back at where you started. Taking that first step is the hardest, but taking the second, knowing how hard the first one was, comes close.

Thank you so much. I have kept pushing through. Small victory...my half mile was 3 minutes shorter yesterday. I'm improving after 4 days! Congrats on all your successes! I hope one day ill be able to share mine as well! ❤️
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Baby steps, you got this!
  • emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    You will get there! I was told at the start of my journey to keep a log of what I did each day, and how long it took me. Then in time I can look back on it and see how far I have come.

It doesn't matter how small, because you are going to be making gradual changes. Examples:
    -Write down your max reps for move that you struggle with.
    -Write down how long a walk takes, and what length.
    -Write down when you first did a push up without having to focus on form (my latest accomplishment).
    -Write down when you found you could increase hand weights and keep good form/# of reps.
  • Scareah
    Scareah Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You can do this girl!! Dont give up!! You gotta start somewhere. That's what I keep telling myself. I got asked awhile ago if I am pregnant, because my belly is big. But I am not. It was devastating. But I'm not going to let it hold me back!! I'm going to use it to work harder. If you want to add me, we can positively support each other. We got this!!
  • TheRealSlim_Shelly
    TheRealSlim_Shelly Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Stop it right now! You got out there and did the damn thing! We alllllll gotta start somewhere. Stop looking at how far you have to go and start looking at how far you have come! Hang on to your positive mindset that got you to the park in the first place. Today was half a mile - NOTHING to be ashamed of. This is about setting small goals and working toward achieving them.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    You decided to take action to improve your life, that’s the hardest step done already.

When I started I was also morbidly obese and so out of shape that I could barely walk to my mailbox. I have my own crying on a walk story, too: the first time my husband and I went for a nature walk, I sat down on a bench halfway and cried while he went ahead to see how far we had to go. Less than a year later, I could run 5k, and last year I ran a half marathon and placed second in my age group at a big competitive 5k race. And we went to the fair last year and you better believe I rode ALL the rides. You will find yourself doing things you never thought you could do, and the time will pass before you know it. I hope you stick around here and share your success with everyone as it happens!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Oh - one more thing - get some good, supportive shoes, it makes a huge difference!
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I'm 40 and morbidly obese. Im just tired of it all. Last week, I went to an amusement park with my teens and was afraid to ride anything. I was afraid I wouldn't fit! That's when I decided to make a change and start living. I've been researching and started meal prepping. I enlisted a work out partner for 3 days a week at the gym. I was all excited. Today, I went to the park to walk a mile. I could only make it a half mile 😭. I'm ashamed. How could I let myself get here!? My lungs hurt, my ankles hurt and my legs burned. I sat on my car and cried.

Keep going, take little steps and slowly increase that half a mile by a few steps each day and before you know it you'll be walking more than a mile.

When I started out 3.5years ago I was super morbidly obese and could barely walk across the room. I'm still officially overweight (not by a lot) but in April this year I ran 2 marathons 2 weeks apart. It didn't happen over night, but by increasing the time I was walking for by a minute at a time and then eventually adding in running I've done more than I would ever believe possibly. (I was 44 when I started this journey and now at 47 I feel decades younger and am more active and stronger than I have ever been)
  • SugaSugaNooo
    SugaSugaNooo Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    grimendale wrote: »

Thank you so much. I have kept pushing through. Small victory...my half mile was 3 minutes shorter yesterday. I'm improving after 4 days! Congrats on all your successes! I hope one day ill be able to share mine as well! ❤️

See, there you go, progress already!! Well done missus - keep at it, don't give up <3