Exercising getting worse

Options
I started my diet 6 weeks ago. I try to keep up on MFP but it gets difficult. So today I updated the info.

However.. Since I started my diet I weighed 284.4 and I now weigh 261.8. I eat 1200-1400 cals a day depending on my activity level. I only drink green tea and water.. And obviously I have a good diet.. I average about 3-4 lbs a week in weigh loss.

NOW my problem is...
I bought a stationary inside bike... When I first got it, I was only able to do 2 miles before id need a break. Last week I was doing about 10-15 miles a day on the bike... This week.. My legs are getting so tired in the middle.. about after 4 miles I need a break.. So my question is.. Shouldn't I be able to do more by now.. not less?

My exercise plan is normally.. Biking 10-15 miles a day 5 days a week.. This usually takes about 21 minutes. Then I work with weighs on my arms for 5 minutes.. Then I do 60 crunches & reverse crunches and I do 60 glutes. Average of about 30-35 minute workout for 5 days a week. I take Saturdays and sundays off but usually end up walking in the park with my kids.

So what am I doing wrong that my body seems to be getting so tired doing biking>? I Figured by now id be able to knock out 20-30 miles a day easy!!!

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I started my diet 6 weeks ago. I try to keep up on MFP but it gets difficult. So today I updated the info.

However.. Since I started my diet I weighed 284.4 and I now weigh 261.8. I eat 1200-1400 cals a day depending on my activity level. I only drink green tea and water.. And obviously I have a good diet.. I average about 3-4 lbs a week in weigh loss.

NOW my problem is...
    I bought a stationary inside bike... When I first got it, I was only able to do 2 miles before id need a break. Last week I was doing about 10-15 miles a day on the bike... This week.. My legs are getting so tired in the middle.. about after 4 miles I need a break.. So my question is.. Shouldn't I be able to do more by now.. not less?

My exercise plan is normally.. Biking 10-15 miles a day 5 days a week.. This usually takes about 21 minutes. Then I work with weighs on my arms for 5 minutes.. Then I do 60 crunches & reverse crunches and I do 60 glutes. Average of about 30-35 minute workout for 5 days a week. I take Saturdays and sundays off but usually end up walking in the park with my kids.

So what am I doing wrong that my body seems to be getting so tired doing biking>? I Figured by now id be able to knock out 20-30 miles a day easy!!!

Did you up your calorie intake at all with the added exercise?
  • ValerieHope300
    ValerieHope300 Posts: 14 Member
    Options

NOW my problem is...

Not really no, on the weekends I usually take in about 1100-1200 calories but on the weekdays when I exercise I take in about 1300 -1400... But Ive never taken in more than this throughout the whole diet so far.
  • simsburyjet
    simsburyjet Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    This is something my spin teacher always says.. your mind gives out way before your body.. Push through
    or you will never get better..Everyone who exercises gets tired and you keep going and
    you get a new adrenaline rush.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    You are not eating enough 3-4 lbs per week is too fast. People are in such a rush, lose it in a sane fashion. Dont wreck your metabolism, and body. You are tired becuase you are getting much much less than you need foodwise.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

NOW my problem is...

Not really no, on the weekends I usually take in about 1100-1200 calories but on the weekdays when I exercise I take in about 1300 -1400... But Ive never taken in more than this throughout the whole diet so far.

You lost 20lbs in 6 weeks on diet alone, which is really good. Now you're adding in exercise. Lets hypothetically say you burn 250 calories in that 30 min. Now that 1300 calorie intake for the day is a net 1050. I personally would look at upping your intake a bit on workout days to fuel that exercise and see if you're able to push through it easier. Even with the added calories, your weight loss shouldn't really slow down.
  • ValerieHope300
    Options
    Actually What Im losing is not too much too fast. My Dietitian says because Im so overweight and my body is used to taking in 4100+ calories a day... I will lose weigh faster and burn more calories for now... As I go it will start to slow down but this is typical for me and my size currently :)

And Sims, You're probably right. Im probably getting a bit bored and I just need to push through.. Its just 1 leg that is slowing my down on the bike. Ive had a lot of issues with my right leg over the years.. 2 ankle breaks, 1 knee surgery from a torn lig.. So I guess I just need to go past the comfort level and push through :)
  • ValerieHope300
    Options

NOW my problem is...

You lost 20lbs in 6 weeks on diet alone, which is really good. Now you're adding in exercise. Lets hypothetically say you burn 250 calories in that 30 min. Now that 1300 calorie intake for the day is a net 1050. I personally would look at upping your intake a bit on workout days to fuel that exercise and see if you're able to push through it easier. Even with the added calories, your weight loss shouldn't really slow down.

I agree, I will look this over and see.. I believe I was told I could bring my calories up to 1560.. So maybe if I do that on the weekdays, Maybe itll get better. I also know I don't do any warms ups before biking.. Should I be? Im really not that experienced in exercising. I know a lot about foods ect but not really sure what I should be doing at my size to make the most of my workouts.
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Regardless of what your dietician says, I think your body is telling you something different. The lower energy level could be due to you not having enough fuel. Have you talked to your dietician or dr. about this? Just think about how much more productive you could be if you had the right amount of energy (calories) to fuel your workout for longer.
  • ValerieHope300
    Options
    I agree. Im going to work on this. I haven't seen my Dietitian since weigh in of last week. And as Ive said I just noticed the pain in the leg coming during only 4 miles of biking, which isn't normal for me. Maybe it is time to increase calories a bit. However like I said. Maybe Im not eating the correct things before the work out, maybe I should be doing warmups.. Who knows. Theres so much out there and most of the information out there contradicts others and its all so confusing.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Problem is pretty clear. You're losing weight at a pretty extreme level (I'd prefer not to lose more than 2lbs/week). 3-4 is overkill and is probably resulting in muscle loss, especially with all the cardio. Not enough calories == fatigue and loss of performance. Keep going and you start losing your hair, etc..

I'd up your calories....a lot. You've gotta refuel the machine or you'll run out of gas.
  • MarthaJones42
    MarthaJones42 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi

A few things come to mind...
    Have you increased the level of difficulty/tension on the bike quickly? If so bring it down a touch and move it up slowly.

I would break up the 5 days of solid cycling with some walking etc. I cycle a lot but I don't ' go hard at it' every day - your body needs to rest and recover. It can also get tedious doing the same thing a lot and just seem harder! You could do a fairly easy ride one day, the next push yourself hard for half a mile then slow for the next and so on just to break it up.

I lost about 90lbs around 6 years ago and have mostly kept it off. It took me about a year. you have made a really good start (I wish I had started using weights earlier on like you are) but I would encourage you to see things long term and not push yourself too hard too quickly or it just become unsustainable for the long term. I don't know how tall you are or anything but I'm 5'4 ish and even when I was losing weight in the ' healthy' weight range I could manage at 1500 cals plus eating back most calories from exercise. Eating more will make you feel better, it's a good idea to up your intake.

Good Luck with everything!
  • siyah
    siyah Posts: 8
    Options
    Instead of doing 20 minutes at once you could try ten mins twice a day. I don't know if you already do, but you should make sure to get protein after your work out for muscle repair.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Wait, I'm confused. First you said your legs are tired then you said your leg, which you've had multiple problems with in the past, is actually in pain after 4 miles.

If you were just tired, I would agree that it could be your calories. But if you're actually in pain, that could be something completely different - like one of your old injuries rearing it's ugly head. Do you stretch really well after exercising? Do you warm up a bit before getting up to higher speeds?

I have major issues with my left leg from my heel all the way up to my hip due to severely spraining and breaking that leg in a bad fall years ago. Therefore, in order to stay as active and mobile as i'd like, I have to take some precautions. Warm up properly, wear really good shoes, do some strength training and stretch really well. If I do everything right, I'm fine. If I skip a step or two, my knee or hip will start acting up pretty quickly.

Maybe think about seeing a physical therapist is the pain is bad enough or doesn't go away.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Problem is pretty clear. You're losing weight at a pretty extreme level (I'd prefer not to lose more than 2lbs/week). 3-4 is overkill and is probably resulting in muscle loss, especially with all the cardio. Not enough calories == fatigue and loss of performance. Keep going and you start losing your hair, etc..

I'd up your calories....a lot. You've gotta refuel the machine or you'll run out of gas.

This!^

Not enough fuel in the tank for your workouts.

Fast weight loss often results in way more muscle loss. Do you want to lower your body fat percentage? ...... or just move the number on the scale?
  • maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I was noticing the same thing...only with walking/running. When I first started exercising I got a major buzz, I was excited about it, and kept doing more and more. I'm no fitness expert so I started googling around and found something called "overtraining." Never being an athlete this was not something I was familiar with. Symptoms are being really tired after a workout, not being able to finish your workout, feeling crappy or depressed after the workout, pain during or after exercise.

The cure is to change up things...don't ride the bike every day; instead walk sometimes or do a workout DVD. Also only increase the duration or intensity of your exercise by 10% a week.

I don't know that you are experiencing this, but you could be. I think I was. I've backed off a little bit, and it's better now.