DOGGIE T.O.M?

Options
Bankman1989
Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
So recently I gotta a puppy and along with it her mama who just had 6 pups a couple months back. Both are female (a shiznitzu(apparently I cant spell the actual name on here without getting it edited..) and maltipoo mix).

Anyways they have been really good for the most part..but the other night man the mama dog Princess started barking all night and howling. It was driving me crazy. Its like 2:30am and she wanted to go outside. So I let her out but didnt want her to wake up the neighbors. So I brought her back in. She started it again!

Well the next morning she was back to her ol loveable self and has been "normal" ever since. I told my friend about it and she said she was PMS'ing.

Please tell me this isnt real cuz my gooodness I can't take this every month!

Replies

• jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Time to get her fixed, a female dog in heat, is unstoppable.

One of mine broke through 6 gt high fences to reach the male dogs next door
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I don't know a ton about it as we've always gotten our pets spayed or neutered but she may have been in heat? As with any other mammals, dogs go through fertility cycles - ovulation/heat and then subsequent menstruation. And from what I understand, dogs menstruate overtly (like human females) so you may want to invest in some doggie menstruation materials or look into getting her fixed a.s.a.p. if you don't plan on breeding her.
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I wondered if it was a HEAT thing. Thanks for the info.
  • justicer68
    justicer68 Posts: 1,223
    Options
    A female dog usually goes into heat twice a year about six months apart. It usually last around 3 weeks or so. Mine turns into a whiney butt when she goes in heat. I just haven't gotten around to getting her fixed but the rest in my household (2 males and another female) are and she has never had pups.
    I guess every dog is different because I've never had any trouble with her going nuts or anything and she is 10 years old now. As one of the above posters said...they do menstruate so doggy diapers are a good idea (they do only bleed for about a week though). One way to tell if she is in heat is rub her hiney beside her tail...if she *kitten* her tail to the side then she is probably in heat.

One good thing to know is that you won't have to go through it every month...only twice a year until she is fixed. :drinker:
  • jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    tell that b*tch to settle her a$# down!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Time to get her spayed. For future reference, it's spelled shih tzu.
  • abetterbrandi
    Options
    Spay your pets! Its the right thing to do. So many dogs without a home. And yes, shes in heat.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Yes it sounds like doggie PMS, but fortunately you won't have to deal with it every month. Most dogs only go into heat every 4-6 months.
  • gzus7freek
    gzus7freek Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Time to yank that doggie uterus out!
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    ALSOOOOOO

You really should get her spayed if you're not planning on breeding her. Our family dog of 13 years was never spayed (she hates other dogs, especially males, so we never thought we needed to).

Apparently as dogs get older, though, certain breeds will develop a very painful condition in which ( I'm VERY sorry to gross y'all out) their uterine and/or vaginal walls will start to collapse due to hormones in the TOMs, and will start to.....sag out. As in HANGING OUT of certain female body cavities. And to make things worse, when she goes to the bathroom, her acidic urine gets on the pushed-out tissue, making it even more inflamed and painful. It's horrible. This is happening to our poor schnoodle now, and because of her age, no vet will spay her for under $1000.

So you should probably get on this NOW, before you're stuck with a dog in a lot of pain, and a hyoooge vet bill.